Stevie Wonder Intros

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

bradb
pushin' record

Stevie Wonder Intros

Post by bradb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:11 am

For me, Stevie Wonder's songs are good but almost every single intro he has is mindblowing. They really build the groove and all the instrumentation has a chance to shine before the opening verse begins.

A few favorites are:

Tuesday Heartbreak... if you listen closely I SWEAR you can hear the kick drum pedal squeeking. (anyone else hear this?) The horns sound great too, very dry and expressive.

Don't you worry about a thing... Listen to the kick drum near the end of the intro and how crazy it gets. In fact the kick is pretty wild thru the whole song.

what are your favorite SW intros?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:49 am

"Have a Talk With God". There is some far out ambience for you.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 pm

Master Blaster. listen REAL close...you can hear the click or a tambourine that he used for a click bleeding through the headphones. AWESOME.

plus, i really like when Stevie is playing drums. his groove is amazing, but when he plays fills he sometimes messes up and hits rims and crap. so great! Superstition i think he does this. anyway, on Master Blaster, he hits the first snare hit, then the second one he blows it and hits the rim instead of a rim shot! priceless.

I like how Golden Lady has the overdubbed hi hat...very disco style. those 4 records he put out at the beginning of the 70's are all MUST OWNS for each and every one of us.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:16 pm

checking out the overdubbed high hat now... NASTY!

i don't have master blaster here, but will check that out.

check out the bad tape edit in the right acoustic guitar at 2:40 in the song Visions.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm

kentothink wrote:I like how Golden Lady has the overdubbed hi hat...very disco style. those 4 records he put out at the beginning of the 70's are all MUST OWNS for each and every one of us.
A BUNCH of Stevie tunes had overdubbed hi hat.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC