cactusi watusi

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Zygomorph
pushin' record

cactusi watusi

Post by Zygomorph » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:44 am

holy crap, i'm having so much fun with tracktion.

a high-strung new mix, the way i like it.

http://members.cox.net/cellofellow/landing6.mp3

love,
john

restless-young-romantic
gettin' sounds

Post by restless-young-romantic » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:40 pm

I like it. Nice big full mix. Whats your front end into trackion if you dont mind ?

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks! To me it comes across as rather hyperactive... you can probably tell the drums were tuned way the hell up into B major... and now I know what that sounds like. The kick hides out in electric bass land and becomes subliminal for the most part. I think the effect works out okay for this song, though... and probably most of my band's songs for that matter.

big auditorium > mics > ramsa 4412 > rme multiface > GARAGE BAND (didn't have tracktion yet) > tracktion Except for the vocals, which go from an old Bogen mic pre / PA into the RME.

Unfortunately, in tracking to GARAGE BAND, I ungracefully lost 8 bits of resolution. But there are worse things. Like the converters in the Tascam DA88!!! I must say that I usually mix on a ProTools HD3 system, but for whatever reasons, I'm much more comfortable with the sound from Tracktion. Maybe it's a placaebo effect stemming from the fact that I actually have _fun_ working with its cheerful interface. Or maybe it's the 64 bit summing bus.

I can go into way more detail about the tracking and mixing if you're interested. I like to compare notes from the land of Small Diaphragms.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:46 am

This is hot. i listened to the whole thing. Hyperactive is a great word! It's very digable.

What do you mean that the drums are tuned in B Major?

I like the Miss You by the Stones vibe to the drums in the verses. nice.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:53 pm

Wow! It sounds like what would happen if someone gave meth to The Ladybug Transistor. Great sounds, great songwriting and it has a nice arc to it.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:02 pm

kentothink wrote:This is hot. i listened to the whole thing. Hyperactive is a great word! It's very digable.

What do you mean that the drums are tuned in B Major?

I like the Miss You by the Stones vibe to the drums in the verses. nice.
Thanks! I'm gonna pass this all on to the guys, cos we're always trying to figure out what we sound like to other people.

By B Major, I mean that we tuned the various parts of the kit to a B major chord, which is the key of the song. And I remember thinking how high they all ended up sounding. Therefore, if the kick is tuned to a B, and the same B that the bass happens to riff on a lot, then in makes sense that the two would coalesce sonically. It's not the greatest sounding kit, either, but whatever.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:12 pm

SoftSupply wrote:Wow! It sounds like what would happen if someone gave meth to The Ladybug Transistor. Great sounds, great songwriting and it has a nice arc to it.
Haha, I'll have to look them up. Dumbly enough, I don't seem to be able to keep up with lots of music, but I'm making a concerted effort nowadays.

Thanks for the compliment on the sounds. There is supposed to be another little part in the middle (as if there weren't enough going on), me on the Kurzweil, I just don't have it with me right now where I'm mixing, so it'll have to wait. This mix was definitely about learning the joys of phasers.

I'm also really practicing with compression/eq/reverb on the drums. I have other mixes of this where I'm much happier with the drum sounds, so I have to go back to my notes. There are like, a bajillion subtle combinations of the drum elements that I've been pushing around, so I just need to decide which is best.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:37 pm

sounds really great John..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:45 pm

definitely has the energy and upfront closeness of the B_52's records..a little Talkingheadsish stylie too..sounds very 80's sarahlawrencian dormatorium..

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:47 pm

I like the way some of those guitar riffs just rip through the mix.