Calexico/Iron and Wine - In the Reins

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:10 pm

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:30 pm

A fellow TapeOpper turned me on to Iron & Wine a couple months ago and I've been really, really diggin' it...can't wait to hear this project as I've also been crazy 'bout Calexico since I heard 'em at TapeOp con 2 years back.

The guy that turned me on to Iron & Wine mentioned that the singer records all his vocals to cassette tape first. A great unconventional wisdom there and a fucking cool sound to boot. Is the new album done like that too or are vocals straight to 2"?

Craig? Larry?
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:33 pm

Caldo71 wrote:The guy that turned me on to Iron & Wine mentioned that the singer records all his vocals to cassette tape first. A great unconventional wisdom there and a fucking cool sound to boot. Is the new album done like that too or are vocals straight to 2"?
Some of the first batch of songs (the creek drank the cradle/the sea and the rhythm) may have included some cassette recordings, but after that (endless numbered days/woman king/he lays in the reigns) he worked with Brian Deck @ Engine and the folks @ Wavelab in very nice studios and in those later recordings, to my ears, his vocals don't sound like they touched a cassette tape.

It's awesome how Iron & Wine, in all recorded output, whether recorded at home or in a nice studio, always sounds perfect. I guess it's the man, not the machine.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:40 am

Although they didn't sound so hot on Conan this past Friday...

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:20 am

Picked up some of the Iron & Wine discs and some Calexico discs too. I much prefer Iron & Wine for what it's worth.