Studio rack wiring

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MusicEuphony
pluggin' in mics

Studio rack wiring

Post by MusicEuphony » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:40 pm

At the studio I work at, we've been making adjustments to the racks of gear (moving them between studios, etc). They're inside of an island type table behind the console, much like many other studios.

The wires are currently not very organized and I thought it'd be good to at least have all of the AC power cables away from the audio cables. What is the best way to deal with this? I was thinking about having the audio cables running along one side of the enclosed space and the power cables on the other, but can't figure out how to do this so that it's still easy to deal with the next time someone has to mess around behind the racks.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:14 pm

You could get some large, heavy-duty pieces of velcro and secure the cables to the side of the racks with them. That way, it's easy to move stuff around without having to cut cable ties or anything like that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:11 am

There are these velcro cable-ties you can get at many 'dollar stores'. Around here there's one called "Dollar Tree" that has a house brand called "Tuff" and they have little packs of cool velcro wraps. I've bought tons of 'em over the years.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:44 am

Lowe's has rolls of Velcro that are cheap enough...it's a single strip, with one fuzzy side and one hook side, just like the cable ties. Except you can cut the exact length you need.

MPEDrummer

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:05 am

mpedrummer wrote:Lowe's has rolls of Velcro that are cheap enough...it's a single strip, with one fuzzy side and one hook side, just like the cable ties. Except you can cut the exact length you need.
Hm! How much a foot does that run? Didn't see it on the Lowe's website...

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:46 am

http://www.business-supply.com/office_s ... c=shopping

The picture listed has nothing to do with the actual product...it's just a roll of black velcro.

I looked at Lowes and Home Depot's websites, and didn't see it either...maybe they stopped carrying it?

MPEDrummer

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:55 pm

Staples has these:
Go here.
25 pc. per pack at $6.79 per. That's not quite as good as the dollar-store 5-pack (5/$1) but waaaaay better than the 5-pack Velcro brand at Staples. ($2.99/pack. Yipes.)
The one you found at business-supply.com has a 6.89 price band I suspect it's similar length to the 25 pack at 108 inches. (108/25 = approx 4 1/3" More flexible 'cause you could cut off what you need.

edited to clean up that link...
Last edited by Mark Alan Miller on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:21 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:Staples has these:
*long link omitted*
25 pc. per pack at $6.79 per....
Last time I was in the Home Depot they had a very similar product, but it was 50 straps for $4.99. I cant remember if they were Velcro brand or not, but they were of OK quality. The material is somewhat akin to the nylon strapping used to bind shipping containers, but much thinner and with just the bare minimum of 'velcroness' to make them stick. They aren't the typical fuzzy velcro like the rainbow-pack dollar store ones or the straps of your old Reeboks but they're perfectly adequate for neatenting things up behind the rack where they wont see much action. I'd probably use something else for keeping mic and guitar cables neat.

I can't beleive I just did a gear review on Velcro

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:26 pm

blunderfonics wrote:I can't beleive I just did a gear review on Velcro
Ah, but in true TapeOp style, that's where this thread is. And now, next time I'm near Home Depot I'm gonna have to check on that 50-pack.
I've got some major wiring coming up in the next few weeks...