Song From My New Record (RIYL Arcade Fire, Radiohead)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

theenvycorps
ass engineer

Song From My New Record (RIYL Arcade Fire, Radiohead)

Post by theenvycorps » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Sylvia (the Beekeeper)

Not mastered yet. Band is called The Envy Corps. Comments or questions or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks for listening.

Americangeography
audio school

Post by Americangeography » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:43 pm

Personaly id bring the vocals down a bit and the guitar in the verses up a bit. But other than that it sounds pretty great. Upon a second listen id try and even the guitars out in the chorus the left channel is a bit much.

mcdisease
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcdisease » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:24 pm

I think this sounds pretty good. This song reminds me of Get Up Kids mixed with Arcade Fire IMHO. My only suggestion is that it could sound a bit clearer, but if it were cleaner sounding the vocals may sit a little loud in the mix.

SC
audio school graduate

Re: Song From My New Record (RIYL Arcade Fire, Radiohead)

Post by SC » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:24 pm

theenvycorps wrote:Sylvia (the Beekeeper)

Not mastered yet. Band is called The Envy Corps. Comments or questions or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks for listening.
It sounds good to my ears. Care to share more details about how you miced and mixed everything? I'm curious about the drum sound the most.

theenvycorps
ass engineer

Post by theenvycorps » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:42 am

Yeah, I think we did a vox down mix...I'll have to check into it. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

The drum kit was an 80's Gretsch maple, 24" kick, 12" and 15" toms. The snare was a '64 Ludwig wood snare.

Mics -
Kick: D112
Snare: 57
Rack tom: Senn E609
Floor tom: CAD m179
OH: SM81s in X/Y
Room: MXL V69

Preamps were 2 OSA MP1-Cs on the OH, Safe Sound P1 on the snare and just Digi002 preamps on everything else. As far as mixing goes, I didn't do it, but I'll ask our mixing engineer about them.

Guitars were Mexi Telecasters, one through a '66 Vox AC30, one through some 18 watt Fender clone...just 57s right on the speaker. The bass was a Japanese P-Bass through an old B-15 with an AT4050 in fig 8, I believe.

Lead vox are an SM7 through an OSA MP1-C.

will.record.for.food
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by will.record.for.food » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:19 pm

Sounds nice...this thing will rock with mastering!
http://www.purevolume.com/goodfightgoodnight
Torches together, hand in hand