speeding songs on the radio

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

TheStevens
pushin' record

speeding songs on the radio

Post by TheStevens » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Last week I heard "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" on the radio, and all of a sudden, the tempo jumped up and the song was sped up! (with no pitch change) then, after about a minute, it all of a sudden switched back to the original tempo. Does anybody know why this would happen?

Do they actually do this to try to get the song over with by a certain time? (I wouldn't think it was intentional, because it was pretty damn obvious)

Is there a 2x button on CD players that could have accidentally been pressed?

Anybody have any idea? It was so weird!!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:05 pm

i thought this was going to be a thread about songs that make you speed while you drive.... haha. i listen to a lot of grind, so i have to really be consious of my foot during the blast beats.

but as to your question, i've never heard anything like that before. i know that my cd/dvd player has different levels of fast forward, when you just hit the button once, it goes at twice the speed, so it could be something like that. but then again, that always changes the pitch..... :?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:56 pm

There are a lot of broadcast CD players with a vari-speed adjustment on them. Perhaps it got bumped or accidentally engaged for a second.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:27 pm

It's probably nothing insidious, though I have heard spots I've mixed air sped up on certain radio stations...this is a not uncommon practice that allows the station to cram one more spot into their breaks and make more money...I see no reason to apply it to the music, however.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:17 pm

Somebody wanted to get done with the whining?

That song has not aged well to these ears...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:23 pm

The Oldies station in LA speeds up lots of songs, and does egregious edits to them. I assume this is so they can play "another 10 in a row" quicker so they can get to their commercial breaks on time.

It is to the point that I can't listen to the station anymore; it's one thing to pull the extended Ray Manzarek solo out of "light my fire" (one could argue for pulling his entire performance out or never playing that song in the first place), but cutting verses out of Zombies songs? Travesty.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:24 am

From what I understand, on occasion, radio stations *do* speed up songs in order to squeeze more in. Another reason why radio sucks. What you probably heard was an intern fumbling with learning how to do it properly, and failing...

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:57 am

are you sure it wasnt Jimmy Chamberlain's atrocious timekeeping you noticed?

i'm serious here, too. he couldn't hold a tempo to save his life.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:34 pm

Hey!

He's one of my favorite drummers, bash-stylee.

Was a nice guy, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:24 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:are you sure it wasnt Jimmy Chamberlain's atrocious timekeeping you noticed?

nah, he just utilizes dynamic tempo adjustments in order to better express the emotion of the songs. :wink:

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:31 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:are you sure it wasnt Jimmy Chamberlain's atrocious timekeeping you noticed?

ouch. i've got a headache from rolling my eyes at that post. there's more to drumming than playing in a mechanical fashion. levon helm. another great drummer who let the tempo breathe.

if you want mechanical precision, buy a goddamn drum machine and have fun.