u87 and aphex 207

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

keysmia
audio school graduate

u87 and aphex 207

Post by keysmia » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:39 pm

Hey all, i have tracked some recent vocal sessions with a borrowed u87 a great vocaiist and an ok pre. an aphex 207. For some reason it jsut sounds weird. Is this a mismatch? there is this midrangey thing going on an little bit of distortion. I also have a at 4050 is that a better choice with this pre?

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: u87 and aphex 207

Post by AnalogElectric » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:11 pm

keysmia wrote:Hey all, i have tracked some recent vocal sessions with a borrowed u87 a great vocaiist and an ok pre. an aphex 207. For some reason it jsut sounds weird. Is this a mismatch? there is this midrangey thing going on an little bit of distortion. I also have a at 4050 is that a better choice with this pre?
I'd say the vocalist isn't "working the mic" well... or the levels are being pushed too much on the pre.... or a combo of the above.

A Neumann U87 with someone that knows how to work the mic shouldn't be an issue. I find the mid-70's U87 is a bit "darker" than most of the $200 to $1000 mics of the same advertised quality... but I love my U87 thru any pre-amp.

There shouldn't be much issue with the 207 unless the U87 just doesn't work with that specific vocalist (vice versa-- or a variation of the two). You can try the 4050... how could anyone say if that would be a better choice considering you have it right in front of you? I've found that there have been some cases where a $5000 mic with a $3000 mic pre doesn't work with certain singers. I know that's not the case here but if I have what I have to work with at a fraction of the cost I'll make up for it with post subtractive EQ, compression, or whatever.

There is a friend of mine that has a few current inexpensive large diaphragm mics for vocals and he loves the bright top-end. I dunno, personally I like a little top end but I like the character of the U87 I own.... it's all a matter of taste, in the end, right?

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

keysmia
audio school graduate

u87

Post by keysmia » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks Adam it was an old u87 from the 7o's so that could be it. She sounds better and clearer but thinner on the at 4050.