Godspeed You Black Emperor.....

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Godspeed You Black Emperor.....

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:35 pm

man i wish i was turned on to this earlier. this band really has something good and original going on. the music is great and the recordings are beautifully done.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:49 am

I recall a studio pic of them long ago...looked like every inch of the room was filled!! :shock:

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:39 am

-i-VII-VI-V

-sample a crazy guy yearning for the old days

-improvise in a minor key for 25 minutes.

i appreciate these guys, but their style didn't leave much room for evolution. do make say think held my attention for much longer.

i'll have to go back and listen to them. i dont know how i feel about the recording quality after all this time. it never stuck out to me, but always seemed to fit the mood perfectly.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:47 pm

Aside from great music, I like how they change the placement of the exclamation point in their name from time to time. I'm thinking of doing the same.

sc!ott

mabie
audio school

Post by mabie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:09 pm

For some recording info there is a great interview with Thierry and Efrim from GY!BE in TapeOp #47.

Mike

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:01 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:
i appreciate these guys, but their style didn't leave much room for evolution. do make say think held my attention for much longer.
Totally agree. Do Make Say Think is pretty sweet. God Speed is a little too drawn out. IMO The & Yet & Yet album is an amazing album both sonically and artistically. It's what I wanted God Speed to be before I listened to Do Make Say Think.

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:29 am

Seeing GYBE live would have blown your minds. I saw them 6-7 times and every time they nearly knocked me on my ass. The recordings don't even come close. They never really got it captured on tape.

mabie
audio school

Post by mabie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:24 pm

I agree GYBE is amazing live. 100 times better live than on record (still great on record).

I can't stand when DMST and GYBE get compared to each other. They are completely different bands...different genres...different sounds and everything. Apples and oranges. Unfortunately, instrumental bands get lumped together in way that bands with vocals don't.

I love DMST as well. The first two times I saw them live, I found them a little sloppy, the past few times they were amazing! The new record really shines live.

Mike

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:05 pm

I've also noticed that moving exclamation mark in the name.

Though not necesarily in the same "genre", you might enjoy these bands as well:
A Silver Mount Zion. (sometimes "Mt." instead of "Mount")
Explosions in the Sky
Surface of Eceon (a little freer and spacier)
Mono

passing ont he good word,
jim!