kick drum petal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:33 pm

I have a bunch of pedals & my DW 9000's are by far the best. Also like the lod Rogers swivo-matic pedal.
Dave
Will Drum For Money

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:35 pm

You know, there's also something to be said for the Ludwig Squeak King... um, I mean "Speed King." I've always thought those pedals felt good. Insanely difficult to deal with if something goes wrong inside, but they've kept the design on those the same for a long time and they're pretty reliable pedals.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:23 pm

While I know nothing about the mechanics of any of the pedals I own, I can say that I am one of DW5000 lovers. As I am not a drummer, just like to play, and can't really describe what it is I like so much technically I will say that it just feels like an extension of my foot. Great! Has a ton (in my opinion) of ways to control everything from the weight, tension, to the action and speed. It is like having a number of pedals in one. I really had to fight myself to spend the money but once I did I haven't regretted it for a second.
I also have to say that although they aren't my go-to's I also have to keep my old, beat up Pearl P-100 and WFL Speed king around. Just something too cool about the speed king and if you are patient with it, there is just a vibe that you can't recreate.
The Pearl is nothing special (although much better in my opinion than others in the price range... used) but can work out alright.
My biggest thing lately has been different beaters. Such a simple thing, but such a HUGE change in sound.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

g

Post by jeddypoo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:01 am

spankenstein wrote:Or ditch the double and get a faster foot!

;)
or try and not abuse that style by being yet another adherent to it.

Okay, so I know it's a matter of taste, I just couldn't resist. Sorry.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:45 am

I have a DW 7000, it's pretty nice and theres not a lot of resistance, but I'm a bass player.... so yea :]

p.s. I love ninjas with all of my body, including my pee-pee.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Ah, and a confusing thing with DW - 7000 is their lower series, 5000 is their mid, and 9000 is their high-end.
Kinda like Focusrite with their Green-range, Blue-ISA range, their top of the line Red range, and then their entry level 'Platinum' range. I'm sure it made sense in some way.

-Jeremy

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm

I finally broke down and bought a new pedal recently (I'm not rich and even though I'm a musician, I spend most of my money on mics and pres right now!) I got the Pearl Eliminator P-2000C. It comes with 3 different interchangeable cams so you can pick which one works best with your style (it affects the linearity of the pedal action, i.e. how much pressure it takes to move the pedal). It also has a quad beater, which is great for recording, since it has plastic sides that really bring out the attack. I was playing on an old DW 9000 pedal before this but the Pearl is so much nicer (and new, and not beat up, so it's not really fair to directly compare the two). All I know is the Pearl is around $120, and it's a great deal. Definitely check one of these out.

-Jim Bob

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 pm

thanks everyone..again..

i saw there is an (edit) PACIFIC B.O.A. "bow action" pedal as well..anyone ever use one?

the 5000 seems to have a nylon or chain option..what the deal?
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:00 pm

I haven't used the nylon strap version. I went with the AD3 chain drive.
You can get their opinion of what is what here: http://www.dwdrums.com/pedals/5000Pedals.htm
About half way down the page there is a short few sentences on each and how they are different.
I talked to someone before who mentioned that the nylon strap was preferred by more Jazz players... something about a softer, more natural feel. No idea, just regurgitating what I heard.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...