Gear repair in New York City?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nicholas181
audio school

Gear repair in New York City?

Post by nicholas181 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:49 pm

Anybody know of anybody good and trustworthy in New York City for synth repairs? I have an old Synare 2 and a Yamaha cs60 that are in need of help and, of the places I know, I don't trust anybody. Obviously I would rather pay less than more but money is not much of an issue if they are GOOD and will acually FIX things. As much as I love paying E.A.R., Main Drag and Rogue loads of money to hold on to my broken gear for months at a time and not do anything (!!!) I would be forever in your debt if anybody could recommend someone else in the area in or around NYC. Cheers.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:45 pm

what is wrong with the synths? I have fixed a synth or 2 in my time :D
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

nicholas181
audio school

Post by nicholas181 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Well the synare is a complicated beast. It's basically just a fairly basic mono synth with 12 drum pads instead of keys that can be assigned any note in the scale through a weird combination of buttons. It also has a built in digital sequencer and, from what I can tell, it is the sequencer chip that's gone bad and is messing the whole thing up. Also, there are some bad soldering point where someone tried to fix it before I got my hands on. This instrument is literally my dream machine and they are very very rare, even rarer in any sort of working order so I would give anything to get it working.

The cs60 seems a bit simpler as it is a more common piece. When you turn it on it just makes a bunch of wirly noises. I was told that I might to either (a) replace the vca chip or (b) remove one of the voices but I know very little about these things. If you think you're up to the challenge, let me know and thanks for the reply.

nicholas181
audio school

Post by nicholas181 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:57 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention that, from what I can tell, schamatics for the synare 2 do not exist anywhere. Most people haven't even heard of them.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:50 pm

yikes.

I think I will pass on this - as much as I would like to get that yamaha synth in here and keep it alive, it just sounds like way too much work. You might hate to hear this - but it might be costly to get those repaired as opposed to the replace/sell broken one for parts option. Or find other broken ones and see if you can get 1 good one from 2.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Two Lines on lower Broadway seem on top of it. Reasonable repair price, but pricey gear.
EDIT <<Two Lines is apparently gone-see post below. How dare NYC change in my absence>>

I wasn't very happy with my Main Drag guitar repair. Totally overpriced,and minimally serviced, but they're nice folks and their gear is competitive.

I had no trouble when I went to Rogue, quick, reasonable repairs, again a bit pricey for gear.

Neither of them had my stuff for too long.

I've left the city, but I was starting to ask around for somebody not affiliated with a shop for repairs, if you can find that, I think it'd be your best bet. These guys are session players around town that might have a lead for you. I'm pretty sure Schwimmer is the keys player. They put on an awesome, hilarious show

-mad
Last edited by madtho on Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

nicholas181
audio school

Post by nicholas181 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:26 pm

Well, I should have mentioned that, as far as the Yamaha is concerned I have a friend who has a spare for parts. If it's just a problem with one of the voices, said voice could just be taken out, if it's a matter of a new part, I might be able to get it pretty easily if someone could tell me what it is.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:52 pm

Coleman Rogers at Professional Audio Design has saved my butt a number of times and seems to be fearless - if you're not too worried about hourly rates. (Not that his (rather, P.A.D.'s) rates are that outta whack - I think he's worth every penny, but it's not cheap if you don't have schematics/service manuals for the item in question. I've been hiring him regularly since he was at Alactronics... for years. He's also such a nice guy too.)

Let's just say he'll tackle anything if you A) want him to and B) are willing to possibly pay for the time.

Oh, and he's not in NYC, but south of Boston in Rockland.

Did I mention he's saved my butt a number of times? :)
Last edited by Mark Alan Miller on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:52 pm

http://www.dbmproaudio.com/
I played a gig recently wiht the guy that runs this place (John Frondelli), and he was very cool and knew his stuff.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:32 pm

For the record, Two Lines Music was evicted - not sure if they have found a new space yet.

DBM is cool.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron