BroadCast gear 4 the recording studio..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:24 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:yep..thats the one...i'll pull out the book onnit later but uts definately along those lines...creepy
of course i love this story..
Oh, found a link with a drawing (too bad it's not a photo) of the cadaver ear recorder on the webpage of the guy who wrote one of the texts I'm using in class. Good stuff.

-Jeremy

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:01 am

Professor wrote:If I remember right, it's kind of a combination of effects in there, right Chris? Like a little EQ, delay, phase-shiftin', etc.
It sounds to me like EQ and phase shift stuff. The cool thing is that it can retain a nice, fairly solid mono image. It's got a crossover in it that allows you to affect the width of the high-frequency differently from the bottom. Very cool box. I rarely use it on stuff I've tracked, but it's a very handy tool when I'm mixing something someone else recorded.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:06 am

hey Prof!
care to elaborate on those texts youre using?
teaching? just a guess...
i'd be curious to see your syllabus...

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:27 pm

That Orban Stereo Synthesizer sure sounds like a combination of EQ and delay (which imparts phase shift...)

I used it today! :) On a remix for a band.

I had a stereo drum loop which had a lot of 'difference' material in it.
One channel of that loop went to my Spanner (auto panner - triggered off the kick every other beat for a half-note pan - On-U heaven!) and the other side went to the Orban (and was returned in stereo) after some eq and a gate to chop the crap out of it, with a slow attack... MmmMmm.

I'll let you all know if the band I did the remix for releases it...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:22 am

Two Orban items I'd love to have if someone's selling are the 245 and a 111 reverb.
Can't decide though if I'd want the power switches already broken, or if I'd want to have the priviledge of doing it myself. But then, how often do you find an Orban box with an intact power switch? Now I'm just gettin' greedy.

-Jeremy