Altec 438a ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Altec 438a ?

Post by jrepro » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:25 am

Looks like I may be getting a 438a as part of a deal. I have no expierence with them. Can someone give me an overview of what to expect? I know that with a Mic transformer they get up to 90db of gain. Seems like a good choice for a ribbon on sax? No? Anyway...this would be added to my collection of pres and comps.

What are you using these for?

Thanks,

Joe

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:28 pm

Here's a manual and schematic in PDF, if that helps at all. It says its intended for use in "automatic level control applications in recording, TV broadcast, and public address systems." It doesn't seem like the compression is adjustable.

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks,

Yeah the compressor is vari-mu style. Which in this case means (I think) the harder you hit it, the more it compresses. These are said to be very smooth sounding compressors. I think Joel and John both have them so maybe they will chime in.

Some of these are selling for stupid money these days, but I am not sure that they are really worth all that.

Joe

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:31 pm

I think they have a trashy sound to them that can be kind of cool, but I've never really liked them on sax. My favorite uses are on snare drum, acoustic guitar, OCCASIONALLY vocals, and OCCASIONALLY on a hollow-body bass like a Hofner or a Gibson Les Paul bass (the Jack Cassidy thing). It's certainly not the most hi-fi thing in the world, but it's interesting. If you get it and hate it, you can always sell it for a pretty penny.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:44 am

I love mine. I only have one these days.
I use it for all manner of destruction, or for bass once in a while when appropriate.

Mine is modded, with an output control, which makes it much more useable under many more circumstances.

For drum ambience fun, this thing works quite well. Re-capped and re-tubed mine is pretty quiet under normal circumstances.

I never use the pre. Ever. I dont even have mine wired to access the preamp connection.

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:27 am

Thanks guys. The unit I am getting currently does not have the mic transformer with it. So its line level only at this point. But I beleive that using it as a mic pre would just need to have the plug in transformer added.

At this point I don't have a clear idea if or how I will use it. It's part of a package deal that is equateable to me as long as the 438 is worth more than a few hundred bucks. If its not, than I may be on the short side of the deal. But I love to try vintage gear. I don't always keep it old gear long, but I like to experience as much gear as possible. I am truely a gear slut. As of now my vintage collection consists of API, Melcor, Urei, DBX and Ashely. Everything else is newer than 1980 or so.

Joe