Strange thing about internships

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Strange thing about internships

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:54 am

So my aunt asks me if she can give my email address to a friend of her's son who just got out of recording school. I tell her fine.

I got an email from this kid. He asked about the school and I answered.

Then he told me that the school told them when they are looking for internships that they should book at tour and "go from there." WTF? I told him he should be up-front from the beginning and tell the studios that he's interested in an internship so everybody is on the same page. I also said that who ever gave him that advice is a moron!

I know I would be pissed if someone took my time and represented themselves as a potential client and then turned it around to wanting an internship.

What do you think?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:00 am

It's never a good idea to approach any potential relationship under false pretenses. Business, personal, whatever. I agree with your "WTF?"

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:12 am

yeah. that's lame city.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:48 am

I think that's totally jive. Good call on his part for asking about it.

I will say this, though:
I would be FAR more likely to give an internship to someone who has booked time at my studio or brought a client to me, assuming that the person seemed level-headed enough. I know that's a totally different set of circumstances, but people tend to forget karmic investments like that. I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who call or email me asking favors after booking time with someone else.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:20 pm

funny story:
i guy i worked with at a library had connections at a studio, and told me he'd see about getting me an internship.
so, right in front of me (and against my fervent protests), he called the studio and pretended to be me. the studio manager was NOT very impressed. ended up getting it anyway.
charm, i guess.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:05 pm

Well, maybe the school meant someone interested in being an intern/assistant should check out the place before sending a resume?

I've had people come in just to check out the studio beyond bands, it doesn't bother me. I suppose if they came in with false pretense then that would be weird, to me.

I don't mind if someone tours the place and then asks if there are any positions open or if I take on interns. I'd much rather meet someone in-person than get a mass-emailed-resume just cuz I'm listed on a school local studio list.

When someone walks thru a studio tour with me I don't ask them anything other than, "Do you have any further questions?"

If it's a band they usually ask band-type questions. If it's an individual they ask the questions that lead me to believe either they're looking for a job/internship or looking at a studio for some freelance recording.

I guess because I don't ask the question "Why are you booking a tour?", it's not a concern to me. But yes, it would be weird and a turn-off to have some represent themselves as a potential client then turn around asking for an internship.

I have to ask again, do you really think that's what the school was actually saying?

"...booking a tour and go from there" could mean: book a tour and ask about internships.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:01 pm

When someone calls to book a tour I'm looking at that person and a potential client. I need clients to stay in business and thus I am happy to spend the time with them. If someone is interested in being my intern they better well say so during our first contact. A potential client gets preferential treatment. If they want to come in at a time that's inconvenient for me I'll figure out how to make that happen. If a possible intern wants to come by it needs to work without me altering my schedule, when it?s convenient for me.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:33 pm

drumsound wrote:When someone calls to book a tour I'm looking at that person and a potential client. I need clients to stay in business and thus I am happy to spend the time with them. If someone is interested in being my intern they better well say so during our first contact. A potential client gets preferential treatment. If they want to come in at a time that's inconvenient for me I'll figure out how to make that happen. If a possible intern wants to come by it needs to work without me altering my schedule, when it?s convenient for me.
You're kidding me, right?

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:39 am

I love showing off the studio and I'm more than happy to hang out with other engineers and musicians. Ask mjau, jmoose, Chris Garges or cornandsoy what it's like to just hang at my shop. But, that can't happen when it's interfering with the business that is my shop. And I sometimes have obligations (familial, social, and personal) that might take precedence over the hang. I might re-schedule a dinner or movie so I can meet with a potential client know full well that it is not a guaranteed gig, but if I do that and find out (at the meeting) its somebody who wants to see if they can be my intern, I'm gonna be a bit annoyed.

When I make contact on the phone I ask about the project at hand. That is the perfect time to mention internship, not after you come to the tour and decided if I or my joint is "worthy!"

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:45 pm

I know a guy who got a interenship this way.... Its not my style though.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:57 pm

i think it comes down to whether or not you feel comfy trusting someone who started off the relationship in a less-than-upfront way.