I'm going back. Tired of new music.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 am

Pop music in general turns me off now. There's only so much that can be said in three to five minutes on a 4-4 beat, and the last 50 years have been devoted to saying it. The form has been exhausted.

(Of course, my secret hope is that I'll be proved wrong).
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:08 pm

Of course, there will always be more and more kids that aren't sick of pop music yet, even if they will eventually tire of it in their middle age before returning to their old favorites in the nostalgia of their later years.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 pm

Tatertot wrote:Of course, there will always be more and more kids that aren't sick of pop music yet, even if they will eventually tire of it in their middle age before returning to their old favorites in the nostalgia of their later years.
Perhaps they won't return, and start listening to other forms of music instead. It's not a given that kids will always like pop songs.

There are a million things out there, and pop is just one of them. The near-death of intelligent pop music is not that big a deal. It just means that tastes will change. None of us were destroyed by the death of swing.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:08 pm

If you hate all modern music you're not listening to the right station. There's a bajillion things out there that you haven't heard to dismiss them and go back to the preprogrammed 70's FM is to cheat yourself.

http://www.wxyc.org

Take the WXYC challenge. Listen for a day. A particular DJ might suck, but the next one on won't. If you don't like what's on now, wait five minutes.

I had thrown away a receiver (a nice one, by the by, and I'm kicking myself now), because I'd given up on radio ever being useful. And then my world changed radically.