GT MD1A

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thedug
steve albini likes it

GT MD1A

Post by thedug » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:15 am

I have a pair of Groove Tube Mics and I was thinking of experimenting with different tubes.

Anybody know of cool tubes that can go in this mic? Different brands? Other compabile tubes? Vintage?

Speaking of retubing, anybody ever tried putting a different tube in their NTV? I hear they used pretty shotty chinese tubes and yet the mic still sounds good. Wonder how a better tube might sound.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: GT MD1A

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:17 am

thedug wrote:I have a pair of Groove Tube Mics and I was thinking of experimenting with different tubes.

Anybody know of cool tubes that can go in this mic? Different brands? Other compabile tubes? Vintage?

Speaking of retubing, anybody ever tried putting a different tube in their NTV? I hear they used pretty shotty chinese tubes and yet the mic still sounds good. Wonder how a better tube might sound.
I have an old sylvania in mine that I found in a TV set at the dump.

That is one of my favorite mics on the planet with that tube in it. The original GTMD1a. That is a TOTAL sleeper mic. I like it better than the U67 in most applications that I would use a 67 in cardioid.

thedug
steve albini likes it

Post by thedug » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:42 am

Is the sylvania a 6205 as well?

thedug
steve albini likes it

Post by thedug » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:45 am

timbertrout
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by timbertrout » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:50 am

Yeah! Older Groove Tube Mics...Any fans of the MD3A out there?

I love mine to death, though sometimes I have to fight to get it placed correctly...pretty huge proximity effect...but once it's in the sweet spot it's beautiful...I guess switching it to omni could help out defeating proximity effect when needed - Though I try to do this as little as possible given it basically requires sticking a screwdriver into the capsule.