Grand Funk Railroad: Grand Funk.. any fans?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

Grand Funk Railroad: Grand Funk.. any fans?

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:05 am

so i've been taken by surprised, wined and dined, and all around blown away by this record: grand funk. never thought i'd buy a GFR record but this one rocks. very heavy bass/drum grooves with some wailing guitar over everything.

so i guess what im wondering if there are any fans of GFR here, anyone that owns this record, and anyone that knows or can decode the guiar sound on it? sounds like a gretsch or something- not sure what amp though. sounds like a great, but not overbearing driven sound. any thoughts?

ok
-jp

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:35 am

I played a Grand Funk 45 at 33 rpm once and it sounded exactly like Widespread Panic.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:39 am

I like grand funk. But not as much as Homer. I think that's his favorite band.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Re: Grand Funk Railroad: Grand Funk.. any fans?

Post by hammertime » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:40 am

Frank Zappa produced one or more of their records, so they sound pretty killer. The only song I hear on the radio (I don't own any of their records), is "Some Kind of Wonderful," which is a pretty rocking song in my opinion (maybe not Mozart, but it gets my head bobbing in my car).
jmpizzoferrato wrote:so i've been taken by surprised, wined and dined, and all around blown away by this record: grand funk. never thought i'd buy a GFR record but this one rocks. very heavy bass/drum grooves with some wailing guitar over everything.

so i guess what im wondering if there are any fans of GFR here, anyone that owns this record, and anyone that knows or can decode the guiar sound on it? sounds like a gretsch or something- not sure what amp though. sounds like a great, but not overbearing driven sound. any thoughts?

ok
-jp

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Mark Farner's Guitar...Grand Funk Railroad

Post by bluesman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:13 am

Mark Farner played a Microfrets guitar.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:15 am

I just recently bought "Grand Funk" red album and "Closer To Home" and I love both! I have had in my vinyl collection GFR Live for some years but I didn't much get into it. A few months ago, one of my local guitar hero mentors passed away very young. He was really into Grand Funk so I ordered these CDs. I love both these CDs so much! It makes me want to go out and buy more GFR like Survival. I think the early to middle GFR stuff is well liked more than the later stuff. I think all their stuff has some merit and I love the gritty old produciton of these records! The bass guitar is HUGE! Some awesome guitar work too! No wonder my friend was so into them!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:47 am

I always thought of Homer as more of a Wings fan.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:48 am

classic stuff is classic for a reason....it's just damn good.

Check out mean mistreater for an awesome rhodes sound

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:53 am

in the early years anyway, Farner played a Messenger guitar. Hollowbody and he taped the f holes to reduce feedback live. These supposedly play great but are very rare to find now. He's using a Parker guitar in pictures on his current website.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:14 am

LOVE grand funk. . .

kentothink and I play in a church band (paid) and we played Some Kind Of Wonderful last week. It was actually kind of bizarre because the pastor changed the words from "baby" to "savior" or "jesus" or something like that. at least it got my grand funk CDs in the cd player again!

-James

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:27 pm

Of course, being from Detroit originally, I grew up with their prevalent sound on the radio. "We're an American Band" was probably my favorite disc, but that Greatest Hits is almost as good as Alice Cooper's.

When I used to work with Joe Chiccarelli in the early '90's, I found out that this is one of his 'closet' favorite bands. Strange, because Joe's from the east coast.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:02 pm

'Sin's a Good Man's Brother' Awesome
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

sonic dogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonic dogg » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:54 pm

In the beginning Mark Farner played Messenger guitars which,as has been said, are really really hard to find. Aluminum body and just odd sounding. Mel played a Fender Jazz bass....They were produced by Terry Knight until the third or fourth album when they were produced by Todd Rundgren. Frank did one record in around 76 or so which has been rereleased in the last four years.

Terry Knight also produced Bloodrock which, if you havent heard it, is a natural progression music-wise from GFR. Another classic band , if you like this kinda stuff, would be JoJoGunne. Also Wishbone Ash.
Owner/ dishwasher @ Drool'nDoggRecords

Artist psycho-therapist/Priest

Wonderin where the lions are....