balancing studio monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

balancing studio monitors

Post by stevebozz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:17 pm

have a pair of m-audio monitors for reference monitors, but the manuals don't explain how to test your setup to see if the speakers are placed/balanced right.

with the monitors on the same setting and volume levels, I swear I can hear one is louder than the other. any recommendations? are reference CD's the way to go? anyone know of free resources for this type of thing?

thanks in advance!
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:30 pm

You might give this a try.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:47 pm

I used to think that and found out that my room was affecting how I heard the monitors a lot! When I set them up symmetrically in the room it helped a lot.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:15 pm

The benefit of symmetry in a control room should not be underestimated.

Use some good pink noise with a SPL meter at the listening position (preferably on a tripod so it doesn't move) to check out your levels, too. Don't just use one frequency to test this, as room modes will absolutely affect different frequencies differently, unless your room is an anechoic chamber! :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

hey larry

Post by supafuzz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:54 pm

do you have a picture of the symetrical setup?

Did you have the speakers in a corner before that?

how were they set up asymetrical?

I'm starting to deal with treating my room[ all in one control room/recording
space/office] 9ft ceiling wood floor with half the floor covered by rug
the first thing is to take down the giant framed [and now quite rare] band of gypsys record poster that's right behind the board above the speakers and move it to the side wall. then I'm going to get one of those wall panel things to put in it's place.

Are these used to stop the sound after it bounces off the back wall from bouncing off behind the speakers a 2nd time?

I have windows on the back wall that have heavy velvet curtains to stop reflection

I have a reflected ceiling plan of the studio here
zeroville

wondering what else to do that's not too deep.
thanks
Harley
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:11 am

Finding ideal placement can mean hours of trial and error, even with software help. And even after you've found it, the response will still probably not be completely ideal. If your room is small, you'll probably have trouble hearing low and low-midrange frequencies properly. Some (more likely a lot) of bass trapping will be in order, even if you find the ideal placement for your speakers.

4 inch compressed fiberglass panels work great in the corners of the room (the first place to treat), and you'll probably need to spot treat the "mirror points" on your walls (the places where a mounted mirror allows you to see your spekaers). There may also be need for trappig above the listening position if there are vertical nulls (changes in perceived bass response when standing in the listening position as opposed to sitting).

If you don't feel like making your own, there are at least two manufacturers of affordable, good-looing 4" fiberglass bass traps:

http://www.modularacoustics.com

http://www.gikacoustics.com

I only have experience with the first company. Nick Fournier, who runs Modular Acoustics, is a great guy to work with, with a very affordable and flexible product.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: hey larry

Post by Ethan Winer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:50 am

Harley,

> do you have a picture of the symetrical setup? <

See the article How to Set up a Room on my company's web site.

--Ethan

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

thanks Ethan

Post by supafuzz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:15 pm

my head is still spinning from all the info
I'm figuring to put at least 2 2x2x4 traps in one on the wall behind the mixing area and one on the ceiling above [not sure why but i've seen it done lots of times]

I'll leave the rest for now

H
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:20 am

Steve,

first, listen to some well recorded CDs of acoustic intruments at your mixing spot.

Solo piano can have a wide frequency and dynamic range. You surely have experience listing to a live piano in a good hall, use that knowledge to your advantage.

Make small adjustments to manitor placement and toe-in to get the best tonal balance and sense of solidity of image with your current setup. Then its time to take note of deficiencies in frequency registers (or timing); e.g. boominess or "one-note" bass or possibly harsh, strident treble notes.

With this insight into your particular acoustic problems and strengths you'll be in a much better position to plan remedies or approach design pros to maximize neutrality and ctete killer mixes when sitting at the board.

Good luck,

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Yo Whats going on Steve!

See you on feb something at the glasshouse!

Everyone misses you and Thor and are excited to have you guys back for that show..

to add to your question..sometimes a bad cable can cut volume on one side..I usually check those first before anything else..

love_tempo
studio intern

Re: hey larry

Post by love_tempo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:45 am

Ethan Winer wrote:Harley,

> do you have a picture of the symetrical setup? <

See the article How to Set up a Room on my company's web site.

--Ethan
Thanks Ethan, that was a very helpful article. I'm going to make a few small changes to my room now including placing that rug on the floor.

I was also wondering, for a small room would it be better to put 4" spaced 705 broadband absorbers at the wall and ceiling first reflection points? Or would 2" 703 or even 2" acoustic foam be sufficient (or better)?

Also, in your opinion, is it better to use a mix of 705, 703 and foam or is thicker 705 better across all frequencies. I am just worried about overly damping certain frequences by using only 705. Would I get a better average response by mixing up materials?