A question about reviews

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

A question about reviews

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:28 am

Hello. I notice that frequently all the reviews of products from a single manufacturer are done by the same person. It makes them less interesting. I know that Andy Hong loves Earthworks mics and Radial DIs and that Craig Schumacher loves stuff from Universal Audio. What I would like is to see how someone else views these products, and even more so, to learn what applications they use them in.

Anyway, I know people are always complaining about reviews and I certainly credit Mr. Hong with my good feelings about Earthworks, and I believe that he sincerely likes their microphones..

OK, thanks, hope I don't get my eyes clawed out.

B

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:24 pm

good point.

Dan Kennedy
audio school graduate

Post by Dan Kennedy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:55 pm

Well I kind of like it because I own Andy's soul. He will always write a good review. Oh, wait, he hasn't written any yet. Shit. What did I pay for???

:-)

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:35 am

Dan Kennedy wrote:Well I kind of like it because I own Andy's soul. He will always write a good review. Oh, wait, he hasn't written any yet. Shit. What did I pay for???

:-)
Hi Dan, you can mail the check directly to the Tape Op offices, and I'll promise we'll review your stuff. Oh wait! We reviewed all your stuff (in some form) already!!!! And I already own an MP-2NV that I bought with my own hard-earned money. Dang! Well, I guess I won't be seeing that check after all. Time to go ask Mr. Behringer for his check now.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:09 am

Back to the original point...

I ended up reviewing all the Earthworks and Radial products because I purchased them!!! It think it makes sense for the owner of a product to review that product, because that person will have deeper insight into the product (and therefore the product line) than a short-term tester.

The second reason why you'll sometimes see a matchup between product line and reviewer is because there's something to be said about consistency. For example, if you're familiar with the music that Craig has recorded, and you've read his other reviews, there's a better chance that you'll find his comments useful. Otherwise, it's pretty much a shot in the dark in terms of agreeing or disagreeing with a particular reviewer and his/her likes/dislikes.

The third reason is because many of our reviewers will ask me for specific product to review, and some reviewers are fans of certain product lines, so you'll see them reviewing a number of products from the same manufacturer.

With that said... this is NOT a standard policy of any sort. In fact, using Dan's company as an example, the products in his line were reviewed by different people. Or look at Geoff Farina's reviews... no two products in his 13 gear reviews are from the same manufacturer.

And I would agree that there are also advantages to having product lines split up amongst many different reviewers. Again, we don't have a standard policy on how gear reviews are "distributed" amongst our reviewers, and most of the various review "assignments" I make are based on who's got what session coming up and needs/wants what gear for that session.

BTW, one new strategy that I've added recently to our gear reviews section is the "double review," with two reviewers (with different setups and therefore different perspectives) sharing their comments on the same product. That way, as a reader of the review, you're more likely to understand and relate to the opinions stated.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:14 pm

TapeOpAndy wrote:BTW, one new strategy that I've added recently to our gear reviews section is the "double review," with two reviewers (with different setups and therefore different perspectives) sharing their comments on the same product. That way, as a reader of the review, you're more likely to understand and relate to the opinions stated.
I've noticed this and think it's a great idea.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:59 pm

Sometimes it's kinda random what stuff we end up reviewing and by whom. I frequently will ask to write about something that I've bought and find useful over something I could get a loaner on and try out for a limited time. I see the reviews more as how I might tell a pal, "Hey, this thing works really good for doing that."
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:21 pm

I like the double reviews. Thanks for taking note of my comment!

b

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:30 pm

I too love double reviews.

Perhaps someday, SOME DAY, this will lead to . . . dare we think it . . . one thumbs up review and one thumbs down review of the same product.

I can dream, can't I?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra