Thinking of adding a mixer.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Thinking of adding a mixer.

Post by spankenstein » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:23 am

Probably something pedestrian (A&H, Mackie, etc). I've been "console-less" for a while but that makes it a pain to integrate outboard gear during mixdown. I know on anything in my price range I'm likely going to use the inserts. I really want the playback on the the same channel as the record for a given track/channel. Is there a way to make this work. I'm wanting to turn my computer into a glorified tape deck if you will.

Is it possible to just make a loopback cable so that the insert continues to play through (not using the one-click thing) but the playback comes in the insert as well? Is is as simple as a Y-cable?

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:08 pm

Nothing? I already wired up a little flip switch with some 1/4" jacks.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:29 pm

A friend of mine is doing the exact thing you want to do. He just takes the insert send to the input of his recorder and the insert return from the output of his recorder and now the trim pot is his tape send and the fader is his tape return. Works well for him.

Hope this helps

Mike

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:32 pm

Putting the recorder in the insert point of a console can be an elegant way to work. Short path from preamp to recorder, short path from recorder to rest of console.
One caveat: if the EQ is pre-insert like a lot of consoles, no EQ on the console during mix. If it's the opposite, no EQ for tracking... (Strictly talking onboard; outboard stuff obviously could be deployed. And if the recorder is a DAW then there is the plug-in option...)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Thanks guys... I'm still ironing this out in how I want. The borrowed Behringer board I have is Pre-EQ so that's fine for now. I think my lazy side is just taking over. I forget what board I was looking at but it did the B mix flip in banks of 8. That would be wonderful for switchign from tracking cue mix to playback. I have it working roughly how I want with my patchbay and the normaling.

Maybe I'm trying to make tracking and mixing too much the same process. I'm thinking that I can mix to some degree during tracking and be that much closer when it's mix time.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:27 pm

then buy the glorified 8 track

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:37 pm

I am assuming that this would still be an issue with a tape machine. The hesitance is dropping the cash on a board that's going to have a B mix.