anybody have experience with a marantz CDR 610?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

anybody have experience with a marantz CDR 610?

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:59 pm

you know, the reeeeally old one, circa '94? i'm wondering what levels you hit it with through the analog ins. also, if you're still using it, what CDRs do you use?

thanks,
alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:09 pm

I hit mine with about +4 or hotter which seems to = 0 on the deck. The digital deck metering is different than the analog metering, but I can't remember the details. Basically I put the analog output until the CD recorder hits close to 0 which is the max it can go before clipping. My board sounds good pushed a little so, its a good combo.

I use just about any cheap CDRs for it. Mine, is actually the newer model. Maybe 630? Anyway, nice unit, but the discs don't seem to play in the car?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:58 pm

I've got the 630 as well (bought off a fellow TapeOpper--thanks!). Anyway, works well, about what was said above regarding metering. It seems a little picky on playing back CDR's burned on my computer; but other than that works great.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:23 pm

I recall one glitchy problem that bothered folks with that unit is that the auto track numbering feature doesn't respond fast enough, like maybe it doesn't measure ahead of the recording buffer. So if you use that you'll get little like 1/2 second tags of the song left on the previous track.

As for levels, I dunno - maybe hit it so the loudest peaks in the song hang just below digital 0.

-Jeremy

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:12 am

As I remember the unit shipped with Kodak CDRs. I worked at a Pro Audio store when they first came out. Good unit. From my memory I would suggest not pushing 0. The AtoD converters were not as forgiving as they are on the newer units.

This is just from memory

Mike

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:09 pm

awesome, thanks folks. for the longest time, i was under the impression that when it was in the red, that it was clipping and i coulda SWORN that i heard dist. when i would do that, but i just tried the digital ins with "normal" leveled material and they were well up in the -3 range. shoulda tried a more decisive testing strategy i guess.

lately i've been using memorex "music" cdrs, but not the black ones, which it does not like. before that, i was thinking i was going to have to scrap the thing cause i couldn't find any brand it would take, including some old ass 1x TDKs i found. just wondering if there were others people knew of.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:04 pm

Is that the one with the SCSI in's?

I loved that machine. I was so freaked out that I could make a CD!

I could also forget to "finalize" and totally go home and not be able to play it....

At least I could pop it in and finalize it the next day....

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:14 pm

dammit! i buy a new pack of the memorexes and the damn thing doesn't want to know them! can two batches of cdr runs be that different?!

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:53 pm

Just my impression, but Memorex were always just about the worst CDR's, I ever tried to use, lots of problems during and after. (I'm using an HHB, first the 850, now the 830.) I get Taiyo Yudens from NRS in Brooklyn,

www.tapes.com

I think?

But that's nothing... one time I opened some factory-sealed Sony CDRs, and there was live Pearl Jam concerts on two of the ten... no shit... it was back in the era when Pearl Jam was selling like every single concert they did. Sloppy night at the CDR factory, that's fer sure...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:58 am

yeah, i've never tried the TYs. here's to hopin it likes em.

i wish i could just find one that was consistently acceptable...