What Did You Work On Today? 1-29-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:12 am

Randy wrote:I'm kinda excited- my friend/client is going to get it mixed at Gravity Studio here in Chicago. They have some great gear and so far as I can tell, damn good ears. I can't wait to hear the end project.
Man, that is so good to hear. Comraderie between studios... Good attitude.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:56 am

recover from show sat night. research prospective floor materials for new space. have obligatory dinner with the inlaws. watch arrested development.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:56 pm

This is always my favorite part of the TOMB. Nothing worth saying here most of the time, as it is usually just my boring day job, but it reminds me to get out there and make some music.

Thanks, Chris.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:40 pm

Spent all day finishing up some Intros(samples) for a project we've been working on for about 3 months. Have the Listening party tonight and just finished mixing the last song. Nothing beats the stress of coming down to the last minute. Hope we dont' hear anything too out place upon the first public listen, due to our rushed finish

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:14 pm

Finished mixing an e.p.
Very pleased to get it in the mail today to be mastered.

Very pleased to be done! On to the next project.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:00 pm

set up the kit.. :(
placed crazy room mics all over

did a quick drum recording to see if i could tame the hihats...
i play like a six year old but i figure my drummer will never bang as hard as i do ...
the cymbals don't drive me nuts
so i'll chalk it up as a success..
as i'm like that...

here's a quick loop of it..
http://gearslutz.com/board/attachment.p ... ntid=15222

any comments would help...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:44 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:set up the kit.. :(
placed crazy room mics all over

did a quick drum recording to see if i could tame the hihats...
i play like a six year old but i figure my drummer will never bang as hard as i do ...
the cymbals don't drive me nuts
so i'll chalk it up as a success..
as i'm like that...

here's a quick loop of it..
http://gearslutz.com/board/attachment.p ... ntid=15222

any comments would help...
sounds successful,
you know my hi-hat situation.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 pm

lovely...thanks
we'll see if i truely drummer proofed this shit

and take heart..
its not as bad as you think...
it never is...
i liked that song a lot...

clunkey stomp...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:29 am

Jim_Boulter wrote:This is always my favorite part of the TOMB... Thanks, Chris.
Thanks, Jim! I always get a kick out of what other people are doing. Glad to see someone else digs it, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:51 am

Worked on finishing up a music school recital that I recorded before xmas. (kids. . .not music school music school. . .k through 12 piano lesson stuff).

The piano came out decent considering the mics had to be moved constantly. The mixed piano in with the other instruments so they were constantly moving the piano out of the way! As for the Vocals and Guitar. . .let's just say. . .not so good. Both of those I ended up miking the PA cabinet! Blech! But there was not much I could do! All of the mics freaked out the little kids on stage with guitars and the vocalists kept wanting to hold the condenser mic!

So it was mostly a performance type thing. . .that they wanted captured. I have to mostly edit gaps and then master (35+ tracks a CD. . .4 CDs!!!). Taking FOREVER!!

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:16 am

Retracked drums a la carte fashion on a song for a 15 piece R&B/soul horn band....not that they sucked in the first place, client is an extreme perfectionist. Been premix editing this one for 8 months (I did say extreme, didn't I?), be very glad to put it to bed in a few weeks....thinking wishfully. It does sound great, though.
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:50 am

The 29th was my birthday. I turned 26. My sister came up to visit and to see Jordan Knight of the New Kids on the Block - he's doing some kind of weird tour where he plays a bunch of New Kids songs to his now much older audience.

I just hung out around here and enjoyed a day off. I'm opening a studio this week, so I probably won't have a relaxing weekend in a while.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:58 pm

29th: Nothing audio related, other than listening to a bunch of CD's from the library, found an amazing disc of the Hue court music from Vietnam, has an instrument that sounds remarkably like pedal steel and the vocals have that pinched nasal quality of Appalachian folk. Intersting stuff.

30th: Began the 2nd week of sessions on a pop record for a vocalist/songwriter. I worked on her last disc a few years ago, which was more of a jazz/world music kind of thing. This disc is pure pop, one tune is straight-up Motown, other stuff is not dissimilar to Coldplay or Ben Folds. This is actually a big change for me, most of the recording/production I've done for the last few years has been jazz, electronic stuff, avant stuff, wierd hip hop, or some combination of the above. So big, vocal-centered pop recording is a challenge. But fun. Am working with a very talented guitarist who can play basically everything. I'm playing bass and some keys.

Unfortunately, we are assembling the basic tracks without a drummer, the neither of the 2 drummers we are going to use are not available now, and the guitarist is leaving to teach overseas in 2 weeks. We are tracking to click tracks and programmed beats, and both drummers are great at following a click, but I'm not a fan of assembling a rhythm section.

My Shinybox 23 is getting a lot of use on these sessions, most guitar tracks are done through it. Tracked cello with it last week, sounded rich, deep and awesome. It's great on vocals as well, we've only done scratch tracks so far, but on some of tunes where we are going for an older sound and production style, it'll definitely work for final vox. I'm very pleased with this mic so far.

Will also add a horn section, string section later, and possibly a gospel choir. Fun, fun, fun...