Sennheiser Drum mics... MD 421 vs MD504 vs e604

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Sennheiser Drum mics... MD 421 vs MD504 vs e604

Post by alexdingley » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:47 pm

Hey there,

I remember back in the day that there was a Sennheiser mic, model MD504... which was supposedly a small form factor mic like the new e604's, but it supposedly had the same diaphragm as the 421mkII. Just wanted to verify if that was the case and if anyone knew where I could snag a couple of these.

I'm very interested to know how these three models stack up against each other.

I've used the 421mkII's a lot... and I've heard tracks that were done with the e604's but thought that they kinda sucked.

looking for a middle-ground.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:27 am

The 504 is the middle ground. I have no idea if the capsule is the same as a 421, but they are similar in character. I think the 421 sounds a little "bigger" with a bit more hyped low-end. The 604 has "enhanced attack characteristics," compared to the 504. At least, that's what Sennhesier claimed when they put them out and I woud agree with that.

I don't think the 504s are as versatile as 421s, but they are under-rated little mics for drums.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:08 pm

I've used 421s, and own a set of e604s, but can't speak for the 504.

I found that using actual mic stands with the 604s makes a HUGE difference...I always felt that with the positioning range available with the clip-on, I could never get the mics in a decent spot to sound good. Putting them on a stand means that you need to own 3 more stands, which is a bitch, but definately worth it, sonically.

FWIW, I generally use Oktava MC012s for the toms these days instead. Definately a richer sound than the 604s or the 421s, although I've only used them in a rock setting...they could be thoroughly inappropriate for other styles.

MPEDrummer

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Re: Sennheiser Drum mics... MD 421 vs MD504 vs e604

Post by rodabod » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:18 pm

thedeepcuts wrote: I remember back in the day that there was a Sennheiser mic, model MD504... which was supposedly a small form factor mic like the new e604's, but it supposedly had the same diaphragm as the 421mkII. Just wanted to verify if that was the case and if anyone knew where I could snag a couple of these.
The MD421 capsule assembly would not fit in the 504 or 604 housing.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:46 pm

I don't mean to contradict or debate Chris, for his drum recording pedigree trumps mine...but I had an MD504 and 421, and to my ears, the former does not compare. I do agree it's an under-rated drum mic (and it will surprise you when miking a bass guitar cabinet) and through a good pre will capture plenty of boom. But to me, there's a fake, or just not good sounding, detail.

And for vocals, a 421 can sound better than a lot of condensers, but an SM57 sounds better than an MD504. I know it's not designed for vocals, but that's some indication.

I'm just saying I believe the MD504 is worth the money they're going for, but so is the 421. 421's a better, more versatile microphone.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:31 pm

AstroDan wrote:I'm just saying I believe the MD504 is worth the money they're going for, but so is the 421. 421's a better, more versatile microphone.
Agreed entirely. If the 504s were fetching a couple hundred dollars a piece, I'd have a completely different attitude. I did make sure to mention that they make cool drum mics and I think they are BY FAR cooler than the 57 in any sort of close-miking drum application. I was happy at the time to shell out a little more for three of these than what one 421 would have cost me when they were new.

For what it's worth, Mark Williams swears by them and has made a few good records using them on drums, guitars, and horns. But then again, Mark's a badass.

I still attest that the 504 is the middle ground of the three mics mentioned.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC