Next DIY Pre Project?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Next DIY Pre Project?

Post by bplr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:41 pm

So I recently finished the Hamptone JFET and I'm completely satisfied with it. It was a step up from the rest of my pres (Digi002, RNP, DBX 376*yuck*, Presonus Eureka). Now I can't get the possibilities out of my head. I also recently picked up the PPA ribbon mic and found that the Hamptone is really the only pre that I like it through (RNP works when I need to chill the bass a little). But I'm ready to move onto another project.

<p>I know there's a ton of info on here about the different DIY kits, but which ones work well with ribbons while offering character to other mics. I'm looking for very low noise floor with high gain. I've heard great things about Seventh Circle pres, but I'm reluctant to spend much without getting a better idea as to how it will sound. I'd be very interested in tube pre kits as well. I looked into the Hamptone Tube but how much does it sound like the JFET? I realize the circuits would have to be different, but the same (kickass) guy designed it. I'm looking for variety.

What say you?

Justin
Bipolar Production