Trying to set up my relativley small 10x20 room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

will.record.for.food
gimme a little kick & snare

Trying to set up my relativley small 10x20 room

Post by will.record.for.food » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:46 am

Hi all.

I am moving rooms for my recording stuff. I am currently in a guest bedroom that measures about 10x12.

Well...My wife really hates the fact that we live in an old house that the master bedroom is not in great shape (ugly walls/carpet/drop ceiling/paneling to cover the cracks). She also hates the fact that I have so much gear stacked everywhere
so we are switching rooms!!

Its an odd shape, but If anybody has any Ideas, I would really appreciate it. We are planning on getting stuff moved on saturday (tomorrow)

Ive attached a pic (not exactly to scale)...feel free to mess with it.

The desk has my rack, computer, computer monitor and my monitors on it. I dont use a mixer (but have 2) The desk and the piano have to be pretty close to each other (because of the midi cable connecting the two). I also have a laser printer that is on a stand that usually goes in the gap between the desk and the piano.

I'll use the closet probably for micing amps...buhwuauahahaha

http://static.flickr.com/16/88939947_a950ae2705.jpg?v=0

...sorry, I cant get the image to post up.
http://www.purevolume.com/goodfightgoodnight
Torches together, hand in hand

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:01 pm

I do all my recording in a 13x17 room. I would suggest first placing drums in the room where they sound best, then guitar cabs, and on down the line.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:41 pm

My space is 14 x 20 with an additional 6 x 9.

To be able to help you more we need a little information. Will you be recording others or just yourself? A band or one person at a time? Drumset? Do you plan on mixing there or just tracking? How loud are you? Do you need to soundproof or just treat the room (so it sounds good inside but not soundproofing)? Do you rent or own? Whats your budget?

will.record.for.food

Post by will.record.for.food » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:47 pm

Its my own room at my house. I am not spending money at the moment. I do all of the types of recordings (I bring people in, I do my own songs, and i bring in full bands but have been doing those in the living room). I will be mixing in the box, in the same room (@ the desk in the picture). Ive got some foam but plan on hanging some blankets and stuff. I have no traps or anything ATM.

will.record.for.food

Post by will.record.for.food » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:45 am

If any audio guru out there could help, id be very appreciative.

Ive got the room all set up (as the picture shows). My problem is now the bass frequencies of the room. Ive got some Auralex and some plain foam behind the speakers to take away some of the higher frequencies, but have done nothing to "treat" the bass frequencies.

My problem is that I dont get a good feel for the lower frequencies unless Im 5-6 ft away from the desk. This is probably optimal listening anyways, but getting closer to the desk makes the bass vanish. Is there anything I can do to the corners that will help with this? Ive got a very think Queen size comforter that I can use somewhere in the room, but my treatment materials are very limited ATM.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:29 pm

The home solution has always been use common sense..set your monitors up along the short end of the room..use 4" thick OC703 insulation in all the corners and behind monitors and then enough 2" 703 around the room, specially at the first reflection points at listening position and where instruments are recorded..enough to get the room not roomy, not dead, but "intamate" sounding..using positioning and broad band absorbtion should get you a decent working environment..anything more will require an acoustician or some serious study of acousics in order to DIY..