Op Magazine? Cassette Mythos? Anybody remember these?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Op Magazine? Cassette Mythos? Anybody remember these?

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:00 pm

From the early 1990s, a very interesting searchable online book from Robin James, the editor of Op magazine is at

http://www.halcyon.com/robinja/mythos/aaaa.html

I was too young to be around for the cassette DIY scene chronicled in the book but it is interesting stuff. There are some great essays about DIY by Eugene Chadbourne among many others.

If you are getting burned out and looking for reasons to keep making your own music this site is worth checking out. The enthusiasm of these cats is infectious even 15 years later. And their ideas are very strange.

mrclean
pushin' record

I remember Op...

Post by mrclean » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:36 pm

Wow - totally forgot about Op Magazine. I might still have a few in a box in the basement somewhere....next to my Fostex X-15 4-track...gotta go dig!
-- mrclean

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:09 am

I was an OP subscriber in High School! Great magazine. I later wrote for Sound Choice, which, along with OPtion was a split off of contributors to OP. I also wrote for BraveEar, You Could Do Worse and File 13 back then...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:23 pm

Hey Larry (or anyone), do ya know where I can find some issues of Sound Choice magazine? I loved that mag...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:41 am

Sound Choice? Mine died in a basement flood years ago! Never seen any since!
www.larry-crane.com

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:39 pm

Wow Larry, that sucks. I'd hate to not have mags my writing appeared in.
I haven't seen any since they went under...and I worked in used bookstores for years.

So many zines of the 80's have disappeared without a trace...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:05 pm

I lost a ton of mags I wrote for or was featured in. Oh well. Not like I'd be reading them or starting an archive about myself!
www.larry-crane.com

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:38 pm

I remember all those fondly. I think I still have Cassette Mythos someplace. I had OPtion, File 13, and Sound Choice for quite some time, but then eventually gave them all to a good friend of mine who was very interested in those things, as I had to move to a much smaller place but didn't have the heart to throw thos magazines away....my music was reviewed in most (all?) of those under the name "Eleven Shadows", my fledgling beginnings in writing music and recording.

There was another one that looked sorta like a newspaper, and was written by someone who was an absolute Van Der Graaf Generator freak. I think his name was (I think) Carl Howard, but I'm not absolutely sure. That was fun. And there was another zine put out by someone named Hal McGee in Florida. Can't remember these names anymore. Anyone know?

For a while, there was a newsgroup about this stuff called "cassette culture" or something like that. I don't know if it's still around.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

~~~~~
NON-SEQUITURS:
BTW, this is just my second post here. I had major problems with posting in TapeOp a loooong time ago - problems with EZBoard in which it absolutely refused to allow me to post even though I had signed up. Thankfully, that's gone now and I can post here!!!!

I absolutely love TapeOp. It's my favorite magazine. If I were to have started a recording magazine, I would have wanted it to be like TapeOp. I think it's the only magazine that I read cover to cover, which is saying something since I'm usually insanely busy recording or doing other things!!!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:55 pm

Now that every US citizen maintains at least one blog I am thinking it's time to bring back the photocopied zine just to shake things up again. I love running into this old 'underground' stuff from the days when info didn't swash so freely...