Audio Arts 8x

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dubold
steve albini likes it

Audio Arts 8x

Post by dubold » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:15 am

I'm looking for information about this console. apparently from the 80's. I read that it was made right around the time that Audio Arts was bought out by Wheatstone. Anyone here know anything about them, or ever used them?

thanks,

-d

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:04 pm

i've got one.

definitely made as wheatstone was buying audioarts out.
the 8x i've got is a really well made board for sure. huge traces on the circuit boards, nice componets and tons of space for them all to breathe. do caps and resistors breathe?

wheatstone told me that in the 20++ years since the board's been out they've only had like 4 repair orders. and i think they've still got some faders/pots etc.. for the board.

sound... gentle slope to the qs on the three band eq. but it's a pretty nice sounding eq... but no way are you going to get all "sculpty" with it.

the preamps in it are super solid. big fat sounding solid state. if you push them they'll get a little grainy. but it's good, a little aggressive but never harsh. even with the eq in really obnoxious settings.

you might want to contact colin fairbairn at sfrecording.com
he used to have the same desk.

drop me an email if you need a copy of the manual etc.. i've got some swanky one sheet propaganda too.

dig it
znorton@hockey.net

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:14 pm

well, the seller hasn't gotten back to me. i assume it's gone. ah well. thanks, norton, for the info.

if anyone in the nyc area knows the person selling that audioarts board, tell them to get ahold of me.

-d

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Post by daysleeper » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:46 pm

I just bought an Audioarts/Wheatstone off of craigslist in NYC, maybe it is the same one that you saw. It's a 24x8 console and the seller was asking $700 for it. I havn't had a chance to set it up yet, but I will post an opinion when I do.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:31 pm

shit... that's a sweet deal. if it's in working order. nice score!

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Post by daysleeper » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:47 pm

norton wrote:shit... that's a sweet deal. if it's in working order. nice score!
Thanks! It does work. I was able to try it out before I bought it, it's very clean. I actually got it for $640.

I tried to do as much research as I could before buying, but there are not very many people who use them as recording consoles, that I found. What I did find out seemed fairly positive though, and it really did feel like a good deal. [/i]