those new nickel Neutriks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

those new nickel Neutriks

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:48 pm

I don't know what's happened in the realm of the Neutrik connectors in the past 5 years, but I've now got at least 6 cables with crap connectors that are all brand new.

I just received my Red Type B Vintage microphone and it shipped with a Cranberry cable. The mic is amazing. Tonally, awesome. I'll post another thread on that. I was anxious to hear this Cranberry cable against the others I have, but had to battle the fucking Neutrik XLR to even get it on the mic. Trying to get the thing off the mic, I actually fear damaging the XLR mount on the mic.

Back in October, I made 30 cables for my studio with Mogami Quad mic cable and the new nickel Neutriks and several of these connectors are either difficult to plug in, won't snap into place, won't come off or just won't plug in at all. These used to be amazing- what the hell changed?!?

For the price, these better be fucking amazing. Do I have to switch to the Gold Neutriks or are those now the same?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:45 pm

The black and gold Neutriks are the same - that's what I have on every XLR cable in the studio. But I find that it seems to be the sizing on the mics, because certain microphones have that problem while others don't. All my Audio Technicas are fine. My Neumanns are snug but not too bad. My C-414b/ULS pair are really snug and take some serious wiggling to get the cable out. Shure dynamics are hit & miss (no surprise). Gefell 930s and MBHO preamp bodies seem a trifle shallow, so I have to push hard before they click.
I don't know that I'd blame Neutrik - I don't think they've 'gone Monster' on us. I've heard Monster reps actually bragging about the fact that they build their RCA plugs smaller than spec. so they "hold on tighter for better signal transfer". Of course, they also rip connectors off of gear, but that must be part of the benefilt somehow. I'm going to have to guess that Neutrik is exactly on spec, and that some of the mic builders are hanging pretty close as well.
On the other hand, I'd rather have the tight fit than a slightly loose Switchcraft, or a dangerously wiggly Chinese-built connector like those ones with the screw-together shell and the little metal tabs that try to snug the fit - kind of the cheap knock off of original Cannons.

-Jeremy

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:56 am

I wouldn't be surprised if you got some imitation Neutrik connectors. A guy over on prosoundweb reported buying some Speakon connectors (from a reputable supplier) with all the pins labelled wrong.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:35 am

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese had saturated EVERY market with imitation products. This is definitely a real problem. Hell, my Post Toasties don't even taste the same any more.

Have those bunk Neutrik connectors tested for MSG man. I'll bet they test 'positive'.

An AT3035 I bought recently has a nice stable socket but to be honest, the most impressive fit I've noticed lately was the Switchcraft connector in Scott's Alice mic. But that thing is built like a tank anyway. Granted, a very elegant tank; but a tank nonetheless. No MSG!
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:37 am

do you have a micrometer or vernier caliper? i'd just measure everything (mics too) to find the inconsistancy.