just finished the Melcor GME-20 rack. WOW!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:35 pm

I saw some on either Primal gear or Vintage King for around $180 each. These were not the GME-20 though. They were ME-20 I think and had fixed eq points. The GME -20 has 5 or 6 points per each band. I think PORT has some on ebay. If not I know he has some in stock. He was asking $250 each which now that I own a pair, I think are well worth it. Kind of like API but a tad smoother.

Joel, I may add some Jensen outputs too. Maybe 123's? Is that what you had in mind? I do find that when I use them in the insert on my console they work great. I guess I have not used them enough in the chain in a serial fashion yet. Just inserts. They box will be going into the rack this weekend, and then will be more useable connected to the patchbay.

Joe

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:56 pm

jrepro wrote:I saw some on either Primal gear or Vintage King for around $180 each. These were not the GME-20 though. They were ME-20 I think and had fixed eq points.
Joel, I may add some Jensen outputs too. Maybe 123's? Is that what you had in mind? I do find that when I use them in the insert on my console they work great. I guess I have not used them enough in the chain in a serial fashion yet. Just inserts.
right, but it's eq-20, not me-20, and they have 3-band selectable high and fixed low. the ones i have also have a rotary bybass switch on the front, unlike the ones pictured at primal gear or wherever that is. another difference is the boost circuit, no 1731 opamp but what i assume to be a similar circuit, just not potted. also, the eq-20 has transformer 600/600 balanced in/out. they are excellent eq's. smooth like michael mcdonald but punchy like kenny loggins.

also, btw, connecting something via insert IS a serial connection.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:04 pm

pscottm wrote:smooth like michael mcdonald but punchy like kenny loggins.
Perfect.

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:23 pm

also, btw, connecting something via insert IS a serial connection
Yes you are correct. I was trying to over simplify that I normally run everything serial-ballanced prior to the board. And that I have only used the GME-20 inserted into the board unbalanced, which is post preamp. I used a bad analogy for that. OOPS! Thanks for correcting me :?

JD

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 pm

I may have to grab those EQ-20's then. Sound cool and the price seems right!

Joe

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:56 am

Well it looks like another forum member and myself will be grabing the pair of EQ-20's from primal gear. Once I have it (should ship today), I will report in on the sonic differences of the GME-20 and the EQ-20 units.

As pointed out above, the bottom band is fixed and the top band only has two points, plus a HP filter (I think). This is not quite as flexible as the GME but the price was right!

joe