Costco prefab storage shed..instant studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Costco prefab storage shed..instant studio

Post by shedshrine » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:38 pm

Going to get one of those 8' by 8' storage sheds with the 7' arched ceilings they've got in their stores now and put it in the garage. Will probably eventually build a frame with insulation and sheet rock around the outside of it.

I'll finally be able to set everything up out of reach of a certain two year old, and our office/guest room will fully become a, um, office/guest room.

AND as luck(?) would have it, our cheap motorized garage door recently collapsed down the middle (after being opened into something that doesn't move), and the new one will be insulated.Whoo hoo!

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:30 pm

I'd like to see a pic of that when it's done. Hope it works out for ya!
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:09 pm

There is a book called "How Buildings Learn" by a very cool architect/scholar. It's all about how buildings change over time as needs evolve. I highly recommend it to all who enjoy hacking our surroundings.

The author shows his old workspace in the book - it's a shipping container (boxcar style) full of his tables, bulletin boards, etc. He had it freestanding out on some land. I always thought that was really cool. Actually now that I think about it he also lived and worked in an old boat which was in long-term drydock (think Garden State if you've seen that movie)

In a thick-walled container like that I bet you'd have very little static in your signal. On the other hand you'd have some major acoustics issues.

I am lucky to live in a teardown-quality house which means that I can install exterior windows and do other mods as I see fit. I annexed a garage stall and did a full buildout for my music room. The wife appreciates that my caco[poly]phony does not make ingress into our living quarters.

Post pictures of your lair! Please! Thanks for the opportunity to ramble about tangentially related topics.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:10 pm

All I know is I better get down there, there were only 26 more in stock :D

Tater said (Mr. Tot)
There is a book called "How Buildings Learn" by a very cool architect/scholar. It's all about how buildings change over time as needs evolve. I highly recommend it to all who enjoy hacking our surroundings.
I'm going to write a book called "Learning to love the acoustics of a square plastic room". The ceiling IS arched, but i'm not sure yet just how I'm going to apply treatment. Not much room from the git go. But the way I look at it, to be able to have the gear in there as set and forget, and not have to tear it down everytime we have parents, relatives or freinds stay over.. well worth the trade off to me.

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:12 pm

speaking of which:

anybody ever seen a commercial on tv for these huge mail order storage sheds?

they come in huge U shaped beams and they are aluminum.

some are big enough for RV's and small AIRCRAFT!!!
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:24 pm

This thread has a remarkably low replies:views ratio.

I sure want to see photos of your new modular shower stall once you have it installed and appropriately rigged up. I predict that in time you will learn to use the tip of a soldering iron to melt custom holes in the walls for use as rack space. In fact, I can envision this thing with the backs of various rack devices protruding out of the exterior walls.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:01 pm

Well, the sheds were sold out at costco by the time I got a freinds truck to pick one up. Fortunately they said they had ten more on order, due to arrive the next day... I got the second to last. Man, that place moves product.
ANyway, the garage door will be ordered and hopefully installed soon. Until that's in , everything else is on hold.
(the garage door currently hangs in a deep "V" when opened , you have to duck and crawl out at this point. The new one will be roll up with the quiet belt drive oooo..aaaah))

I picked up the free weighted vinyl soundsheeting Doug Young had to offer in Buy/sell today. (thank you Doug!)I intend to frame in the shed with a single wall sheet rocked on both sides with insulation and the sound sheeting. There isn't enough sound sheeting for the whole project, I would need an additional 12 sheets of the 4x8 stuff at 40$ plus shipping apeice. Hoping to find a local dealer. I might just try inserting rolled roofing tar paper. I think thats like 15$ for a roll of 30 ft or something.

A little background. I lived in Japan for 5 years (teaching English), living in a small apartment, and used packing tape, insulation, sheetrock and a bungy cord to make a cool little sound room. It was 4'x8'. go figure. Not much room so I made a vertical stand from those long shelving bracket bars, the ones with the slots for shelving brackets. I just screwed on a couple rack rails towards the middle, leaned it forward made it into a little "L" shape with support brackets. I attached hinges for a 1604 mixer that would fold up and lock. I tracked to an adat, had a korg a3 for effects, a boogie studio pre for guitar, bass and vocals (!?), and a used roland td7 kit for drums. I even got a Korg M1 crammed in there. I'd set it across the roland kit to play, and lean it up against the wall when not. I mixed down to a little portable minidisc. They didn't have those over here at the time. When I'd come home to visit they'd see the thing and freak. I had a stool in the middle that would turn to face either the rack or the kit. Had to open the door every 15 minutes to relieve the sauna effect. lol.
ImageClick to enlarge..

I want a space to do that again...badly!!! This time around I'll have more room, more ventilation and a few new toys to boot.

As for photos, currently you'd only see a badly deformed garage door, the three large boxes that contain the shed components, and a pile of assorted junk in need of tossing, selling or donating. (no, none of that's gear, in case you were wondering;) :wink:

Oh, and Tater, this studio will be smoke and shower free thank you very much :D
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:11 pm

Hey, are you one of those two guys that recorded songs as "Blinder" in Japan? My friend Jesse who was in Nagasaki teaching English might have done some drumming with you.

A shot in the dark.

He was in Japan with paper walls into the apartment next door. He recorded tender litte demos on a MD 4-track at spectacularly low volumes. Whispered vocals and all. They are really quite lovely in their way.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:46 pm

No, though I should make up a cool anecdote anyway. :D

Just played with some guys at an izikaya the sax player owned after hours.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 pm

I've always thought that a prefab building would be cool, but given the climate in Minnesota, it wouldn't be that practical for me. For those of you in the South or in CA, this is definitely a fun option.

C'mon, someone's got to do this :D

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:31 pm

I'm building a pre-fab steel building studio as we speak...

I'll spray-insolate the whole interior to create a bat-cave...

You can see a pic of the building I bought (for $4K delivered!) here...

Should be up and running this summer sometime....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:39 pm

NICE PREFAB BUILDING

Someday I want to record in a treehouse. There are no suitable trees on hand at present time.

Kayagum, do you know about the Soap Factory ice fishing house installation on Medicine Lake? They have a website up at http://www.artshantyprojects.org/default.html

If the treehouse thing doesn't ever pan out, I would settle for an icefishing house to be used for recording. That would be cool. Security would be a bit of an issue though.

Option three is to acquire a junky old pontoon boat and build a shanty on the deck and use that as a recording space on some lake. The issue then would be excessive heat on a sunny day; there is also the need for AC or a reasonable substitute.

That tupperware shed (the original concept in this post) is going to get mighty humid after a few hours of human metabolism within the small interior.

I could keep thinking about this stuff forever.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 pm

Tatertoot said:
That tupperware shed (the original concept in this post) is going to get mighty humid after a few hours of human metabolism within the small interior.
Hey! One man's tupperware temple of tone is another man's plastic fantastic love shack! FYI this extroadinary abode of inspiration will have large doors doing when open precisely what they do to prevent the prevelance of perspiration.

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:34 pm

tonewoods wrote:I'm building a pre-fab steel building studio as we speak...

I'll spray-insolate the whole interior to create a bat-cave...

You can see a pic of the building I bought (for $4K delivered!) here...

Should be up and running this summer sometime....
yeah this is the thing i was talking about.

not exactly U shaped like i said..but...yeah
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:53 am

Tatertot wrote:Kayagum, do you know about the Soap Factory ice fishing house installation on Medicine Lake? They have a website up at http://www.artshantyprojects.org/default.html
I did hear about it- but thanks for sending the link along!