2" vs 4" 705

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dirty
steve albini likes it

2" vs 4" 705

Post by dirty » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:44 am

I've made a handful of traps before out of 2x4 OC 703 (two layers of 2").

I was only able to find 705-FRK in the 2" thickness in my area. Should I make similar traps with two sheets in each trap (one without the foil) or can I get away with 2" traps and cover more surface area?

And for anyone who has built panel traps (i.e. sealed with a plywood front) and traps like mine, (just fiberglass in burlap) which one would you recommend? Are the panel traps that much better?

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: 2" vs 4" 705

Post by myfipie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:52 am

dirty wrote:I've made a handful of traps before out of 2x4 OC 703 (two layers of 2").

I was only able to find 705-FRK in the 2" thickness in my area. Should I make similar traps with two sheets in each trap (one without the foil) or can I get away with 2" traps and cover more surface area?

And for anyone who has built panel traps (i.e. sealed with a plywood front) and traps like mine, (just fiberglass in burlap) which one would you recommend? Are the panel traps that much better?
If you are making bass traps then you want to stick with them 4".. 2" panels are fine for the first reflection points..
Panel traps are cool, but used mostly for bigger rooms.. Small rooms need as much broad bass absorption it can get.. Panel traps are more tuned to hit certain frequencies..

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:03 pm

Just buy a can of spray adhesive and make 4" panels out of 2" 703/705, We just made a bunch of traps for our new CR two weeks ago, so much more cost-effective than panel traps/Helmholz resonators, etc. (and I have a pair of massive HR's (300 lbs each) at the back of the CR that cost upwards of $3K to design/build).

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:46 pm

dude thanks for that...

I was just talking with the friend that helped me make my current panels (4" thick, 2 sheets of 2" 703 in each.)

I figured we could disassemble those and stick a sheet of 703 and a sheet of 705-frk in each new panel.

So would you advise keeping the foil sides facing in on all panels or alternating? (obviously i'll try it and see how it sounds, but just curious...)

Joel DuBay
audio school

Post by Joel DuBay » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:05 am

dirty wrote:dude thanks for that...

I was just talking with the friend that helped me make my current panels (4" thick, 2 sheets of 2" 703 in each.)

I figured we could disassemble those and stick a sheet of 703 and a sheet of 705-frk in each new panel.

So would you advise keeping the foil sides facing in on all panels or alternating? (obviously i'll try it and see how it sounds, but just curious...)
For bass absorption in corner, leaving the facing/ foil on, will help with lower frequencies. If you do leave the facing on, make certain it is on the side closests to you room. Remove it from any other layer in your trap configuration except for the one layer facing your room.

So, from the room side in toward the corner it would be:

Cloth>foil>705/703> open back or breathable cloth on the back...

The 705 panels are great for corner bass trapping (especially with the foil side facing the room) because of the 6pcf density. Used correctly, you can be effective down to 60hz and below. :D

Good luck!

Joel
Joel DuBay
www.readyacoustics.com
Bass Traps and Acoustic Treatments

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

foil orientation

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:11 am

Just wondering, what difference does facing the foil toward the room make as opposed to the other way, and why? i'll be making traps in the near future, so every little bit learned goes a long way. thanks
-travis