Rosac Electronics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Rosac Electronics

Post by workshed » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:29 pm

I posted this question before, but I had the wrong name. My local pawn shop has a guitar amp in made by a long-gone company called Rosac. The model is a Malibu 66G, has six 8" speakers and is about 60 watts, I think. Wondering if anyone knows anything about these amps in terms of sound quality and general usability. I'll probably bring a guitar there and try it out, but any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks,

-Bret

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:44 pm

I don't know anything about the spesific amp... but Eddie Saner made the Mosrite Fuzzrite and amps for Mosrite. When Mosrite folded in the late 60s or early 70s... Eddie Saner went on to form Rosac. He made the Nu Fuzz, the Nu Wa, etc.

is it tube or solid state? If it's tube... you can't go wrong. If SS... try before you buy. :wink:
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Thanks for the reply,I found some similar info on google, but nothing about the guitar amps. The folks at the pawn shop say it's solid state, but they don't seem to know much at all about music gear. It's closed back, so I'm not sure. Probably is solid state though. He claims the reverb is pretty powerful, so I guess i should just suck it up and bring a guitar in to try it out.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:37 am

Yea, this is true. Everybody wants something diferent out of a guitar amp... but I don't really see much in some lunchbox sized 70s solid state amp unless it's "need-a-crack-fix-now" cheap.
Image Image

Derrick

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:31 am

Well, I finally slapped on some pants and tried this amp out in the pawn shop. It had been calling my name every time I drove by it on the way to the Post Office and I couldn't stand it anymore, not for the mere price of $75. I had the guy plug it in, borrowed a heavy metal charvel there in the shop, and was instantly wooed by the sweet spring reverb and chunky tremolo built in to this thing. For solid state, it sounds pretty nice and will make a nice clean amp for that vintage surf/shoegazer/lo-fi pop sound. I can see using it for lots of stuff with what I'm doing, so I'm stoked. Opened it up and it's all point-to-point wiring, with some weird old vintage speakers. 70 watts and four 8" speakers.

Anyhow, since there is literally nothing out there on this amp, I am posting a link to photos i took tonight, for anyone interested:

http://www.workshed.com/transfers/personal/rosac/

-Bret
Last edited by workshed on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:27 am

Interesting! The makeup of this amp is very similar in construction and materials to my 60s/70s Rosac and Mosrite pedals. Hmmm... In one picture there is a date code on the orange colored epoxy "diped" circuit (like found in many Fuzzrites) that says 71/4. This amp was likely assembled not too long after that making this an early summer 1971 amp. Hope that helps.
Image Image

Derrick

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:19 am

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to find a date stamp on that thing. It's just about as old as I am. I read somewhere online that someone interviewed Mr. Rosac about his circuits and apparently he said something along the lines of, "I just grabbed whatever components I had on my bench at the time to make these things." Or something to that effect. Makes me wonder how much one Rosac amp or pedal might differ from another of the same model. The wiring sure looks sort of random like that.

-Bret