planning ribbon purchase.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sonicanger
ass engineer

planning ribbon purchase.

Post by sonicanger » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:58 am

Hi all,

I've been looking into purchasing a cheap ribbon for the home recording setup I currently have in use for demos/sound experiments/etc. Dug around a number of the threads, and it looks like the best options would be either a beyer M160 or a shinybox mic with an upgraded transformer (a Royer or AEA would be nice, but I think it would be overkill for the current setup). Anyone have experience with both? ..thoughts?..opinions? The primary sound sources would be acoustic and electric guitars, some vocals possibly, and occaisonaly drums. I'm leaning towards the M160, as the hypercardiod pattern might be use full in eleminating background noise, etc.

any input/feedback is greatly appreciated.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 am

A vote for the Shinybox 23 with one of the nicer transformers

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 am

Eddie Kramer used the M160 on Hendrix's guitar cab all of the time, and it gets a better acoustic guitar sound than the one Shineybox I've heard, without the fancy pants tranny. Never used either on drums.
I would also venture to say that more care was given to tuning the ribbon in the M160 than the shineybox, meaning it will last longer and respond with more accuracy.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:Eddie Kramer used the M160 on Hendrix's guitar cab all of the time, and it gets a better acoustic guitar sound than the one Shineybox I've heard, without the fancy pants tranny. Never used either on drums.
I would also venture to say that more care was given to tuning the ribbon in the M160 than the shineybox, meaning it will last longer and respond with more accuracy.
I don't want to get into this too much (as I obviously have an interest), but from a technical standpoint, what about the tuning makes it last longer?

regards

ju