The All "Household Refuse" Studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:35 pm

Ben Logan wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:Finally got a new guitar, but the old one was pieced together from strat copies originating all over asia.
You may have me beat.
The replacement guitar is a JBP and cost me a grand total of $150, but its got HUMBUCKERS (I can't tell you how excited I am!). It will be a pretty good guitar once I get my personal luthier (heh heh) to install a bigsby and some real tuners on it.

I've also got some pretty nice pieces of gear to go along with all the crap, but it occured to me later in the evening that I forgot the piece de'resistance of the crap collection!
Cinder-block student bookshelves for acoustic insulation! The best part about them? I didn't even pay for the stencil -- I snyped it and blew it up from a 90x125pixel gif and then sat their and cut out all those damn little scales! Good old ADD, so useful![/img]

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: The All "Household Refuse" Studio

Post by JGriffin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 pm

MD wrote:
dwlb wrote: My first setup didn't even have speakers.
When I say home, it was just a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
We used to dream of having a tarpaulin...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BandyLou » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:48 am

oh yeah... zero budget rules. I've got a Nobels pocketstudio headphone amp/effects box and a little 2x4" speaker cab, plus a BLAckhorSE acoustic modified w/ a nut extender for a lap slide, all (aside from nut extender modification) FREE from my garage, thanks to my father-in-law's packrat tendency. Plus a dual cassette deck picked up free from a neighbor's curb. cleaned off the faint odor of cat pee, and it was good to go.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Re: The All "Household Refuse" Studio

Post by Derrick » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:43 pm

Ben Logan wrote:My studio (and I use the term sportingly) is literally fueled by "household refuse:"
Sir, that was a depressing post. Cheers to you for working with what ya got! :wink:
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:24 pm

We need Fletcher to chime in here!
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'