headphone break in, is this for real?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

headphone break in, is this for real?

Post by eeldip » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:04 pm

just got a new pair of headphones for work listenin, got the sennheiser hd485, cause that is what they had at "house of sound", which i went to on my MAD AT $10 WALGREENS HEADPHONES lunch break.

anyway, i could swear that they sound much better day 2 than day 1. i always chalked up headphone break in to audiophile myth, but i think they might be on to something with this thing. i mean, its got high tolerence moving parts, so it makes sense that they would change over time.

but you know, i really dont trust my ear memory that much... any thoughts on "break in"?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:55 pm

I like to break in new headphones and speakers.
Generally speaking, as the drivers move back and forth the rubber in the surrounds softens up a bit and the mecahnical parts just sort of get comfortable with their own operation. Really it is a lot like breaking in new shoes.
For speakers, it's sometimes tricky because of neighbors, being able to use the space, etc. but I like to try for 100 hours of broad-band use but usually just end up with one weekend. Typically I'll do that over a weekend, and I'll start with something like a classical symphony disc on repeat for one day at a medium volume, then something pop that's still got lots of highs and lows at a slightly stronger volume, and then some third disc that is still broad-band and well recorded by either classical or pop will work for the last day back at a medium volume.
For headphones it's easier because I can leave them going while other stuff is happening in the room. I usually put a pillow or something between them, and I'll run a similar bunch of discs in repeat for 3-4 days.
Try it with your headphones for even just one day - like leave them running overnight while nobody is in the office and see how they sound the next day.

-Jeremy