Need help integrating Tascam 388 & BiAmp mixer to dig se

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Need help integrating Tascam 388 & BiAmp mixer to dig se

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:25 am

A Tascam 388 landed in my bedroom studio yesturday. I've been searching around for a manual, or general info on integrating it with the rest of my setup. I currently record to Sonar on my PC through a Firebox. I would like to try initially recording to the 388, and then dumping individual tracks over to Sonar for a final mix. I think I need to use timecode of some sort on a spare track on the 388, which will require me to get a special piece of gear, right? I've never used tape machines other than my old Tascam Portastudio 4trk, so I'm a bit dumbfounded with how this stuff works.

I'm sure some of my answers lay within old posts on this board, and I will keep searching, but I thought I could ask too. I also own an old BiAmp 16 channel mixer (which I love the spring reverb on), that I would like to integrate as well. I'm not sure what the best setup is. I usually track things one at a time, but I want the ability to do multitracking too. I'm also thinking it's about time to get a patchbay or two, and start collecting outboard FX, preamps, and more mics.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:09 pm

Hey buddy, I might be able to help. If you're using the dbx NR, turn on the dbx defeat switch for track 8 and stripe with smpte. This way the NR won't screw with the time code signal. Use the PGM IN for track 8 when striping, don't go through the channel strip. I bought a JL Cooper PPS-2 on ebay for $20 or so and it will stripe and read SMPTE. Configure Sonar to follow the time code signal from the 388 and you're good to go. I'm currently using my 388 with a Delta 1010 and the JL cooper box. I have the manual so if you need any more help, just let me know. 388s FOREVER!
:lol:

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:35 pm

I've spent most of the day reading old TOMB threads about dumping tape to DAW. So you don't get any drift when transfering a lot of tracks? I was thinking SMPTE at first, but then I started reading posts where people said using the tape deck as the master can degrade audio on the DAW. They said it is better to use the DAW as master, and reel as slave. Is this possible with the 388? I see there are a couple multi-pin cable connectors in the back for 'remote' and 'accessory'. What are those for? Well, I kinda figured the 'remote' one. Also, is there a way to play back tracks from the PC and 388 synced? With this work with SMPTE? If not, I can just bounce a scratch mono mix of the original 7 tracks over to the 388 for overdubbing.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:27 pm

I've spent most of the day reading old TOMB threads about dumping tape to DAW. So you don't get any drift when transfering a lot of tracks?

Sometimes it will drift. Usually I will just start over or time-align it in the computer. It happens rarely, though.

I was thinking SMPTE at first, but then I started reading posts where people said using the tape deck as the master can degrade audio on the DAW. They said it is better to use the DAW as master, and reel as slave. Is this possible with the 388?

Not in my experience. Tascam made a sync box that might work, but they are almost nonexistent.

I see there are a couple multi-pin cable connectors in the back for 'remote' and 'accessory'. What are those for?

The accessory is for syncing, I think. It is a proprietary Tascam connector, again, rare as hen's teeth.

Well, I kinda figured the 'remote' one. Also, is there a way to play back tracks from the PC and 388 synced? With this work with SMPTE? If not, I can just bounce a scratch mono mix of the original 7 tracks over to the 388 for overdubbing

Since the 388 is master, just do playback as normal on the 388 and the DAW will follow along and play back its tracks in sync. After I dump tracks into the computer and want to continue overdubbing onto the 388, I play along with the dumped tracks (in digital) while recording onto the 388. All in sync! :D

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:47 pm

Doesn't the 388 have individual track outputs with which you can transfer all eight tracks to your computer in one swell foop? at least then the drift will be consistent across all tracks.

If not, the one time when I had to transfer a four track cassette to my computer when I had only two channels in at a time (Echo MIA), I went to the beginning of the song, and punched in a single kick drum hit from my drum machine across all four tracks. I did the same thing at the end of the song, a single fkick drum hit punched in across all four tracks.

then when I transfered the tracks, I could line up the single hits on the 'puter very easily. I did the hit at the end as a check, to make sure stuff was still lining up by the end of the four minutes. I had good luck, it always did within a few samples. close enough.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:16 pm

That is great. Thanks!

I don't have an 8 i/o interface yet, but eventually I will. Right now I use the Firebox, which has 4 ins and 6 outs. Currently, I have the 388's main XLR outs going to the FB's XLR ins. No gain boost with the FB. The rear ins on the FB are connected to a small 6ch mixer, for going straight to digital.

I got to listen to some reels tonight. Really cool. We have one blank tape. I need to get some more. I have the printed manual now too. It's about as heavy as the 388 itself.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:32 am

Hey...if your're talking about the Tascam MT-30 tape sync box, I have one I'll sell, if it'll work for you. Give me a PM!...... :wink:

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:56 am

getting an 8 i/o box will make your life so much easier. i have a 388 and for a long while i tried doing what you're doing. personally smpte timing was too confusing for me. just couldn't get my head around it. another common practice i was told was to put a few clicks at the beginning and end of a song and then line them up inside the computer, which worked okay, but was alot of work.

eventually i got an echo layla and haven't looked back. makes life a whole lot easier, and gives you more time to record as opposed to spending hours lining up tracks inside the computer.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:05 am

also, here's a pdf manual that i found on the internet. it doesn't have the service section of the manual, but hopefully it can help you out a bit.

388 manual
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."