NS10 Amplifier Advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

NS10 Amplifier Advice

Post by mpedrummer » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:07 am

So, I finally got a pair of NS10Ms, and they came with a Yamaha p2201 amplifier, heavy beast of a device, 4u. I figured, wow, heavy = big transformers, but then I opened it up, and surprise! No transformers. I finally found a manual for it (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documen ... /P2201.pdf) and lo and behold, it's unbalanced. The XLR is internally shorted between pin 3 and pin 1.

It has a rather irritating buzz, and here's where the advice comes in. Currently, due to my space and setup, it's sitting on top of an Event 20/20/15 subwoofer, which has its own 300w amplifier built in. Could that be causing the buzz? Here's the weirdest bit - I have a line switcher, before either set of speakers, and the buzz changes depending on whether the speakers are in or out. The other speakers don't have the buzz. If they're in, the buzz drops in pitch a bit and centers itself, if they're out, the buzz pulls right.

Anyway, is this worth the effort to fix? If not, what's a good match? I can't afford a Bryston, that's just right out of my ballpark. Frankly, most power amps I've seen are pretty well out of my ballpark. My old roommate had an Alesis RA150, which seemed pretty reliable, but I dunno...Alesis? Samson makes a ton of "Servo-controlled" cheap amps, which again seems sketchy. Hafler is a name I recognize, but they seem so inexpensive compared to the Crowns and so forth...why the huge disparity?

Thanks in advance
MPEDrummer

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:28 pm

I use one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KM-106-125- ... dZViewItem

It's actually the cleanest amp i've heard in a home setup. I used to use a Carvin poweramp but it just wasn't as clean. This also is unbalanced, but it works GREAT.

-James

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty convinced that the unbalanced is the problem, so I'm looking for a balanced solution.

I'm kinda leaning toward the Alesis RA300 or RA500...the 500 seems like it might be overkill, but the 300 doesn't provide 100w into 8ohms, only 90. Probably not a big deal though.

Anyone have experience with those? They're cooled by convection, no fans, which is a big plus for them in my opinion.

MPEDrummer

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:41 pm

not to worry, just keep tracking....

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:46 pm

I agree that below the Bryston comes Hafler. They are actually very nice amps for the cash.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:56 pm

Ok, so TA1600 or P3000? My only concern with the TA1600 is the wattage...my other monitors are 100w each, plus a 300w sub, and while I don't ever clip those, I'm curious if there would be a significant difference with only 60w on the TA1600? The P3000 would be an issue for potentially blowing tweeters/woofers, although I'd like to think that I wouldn't do that.

Thanks
MPEDrummer

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:27 pm

I have never gotten to the point where it was so loud that it was clipping. I don't have a big control room and I try to keep well out of ear damage range. NS10Ms are quite painful loud. I have a pair of fratboy speakers powered by an Alesis amp for when the band wants it L O U D.
not to worry, just keep tracking....