Does anyone else like Ultrasone Heaphones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Arturo
alignin' 24-trk

Does anyone else like Ultrasone Heaphones?

Post by Arturo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:48 pm

I just ab'ed some ultrasone hfi-550 headphones against some beyerdynamic dt250's and I liked the ultrasones. Also, I'm curious because the ultrasones seemed a lot louder than the beyerdynamics so I turned the ultrasones way down to make the comparison fair. I was monitoring through a presonus central station. Could impedance differences in the cans account for this? Are the hp outputs on the central station parallel or discreet? Just curious about that point but I'm mostly interested in peoples opinions on heaphones.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:45 pm

I got a pair of the HF650 for christmas... I find they sound really good, although I think they're a little hyped in the top end... but the way they are built they do sound louder just because of how the driver hits the back of your ear instead of going straight in... at least that's what they say in the promo literature, and i think it plays out to seem truthful in my opinion...

I don't tend to trust headphones at all anyway though. And I think, after owning several pairs of nice headphones, that it all becomes a matter of taste and what you get used to. The things I hear on the ultrasones are not even close to what I hear coming out of speakers... so in that regard, it's either revealing things I never could have heard in mixes, (which is probably true) or it works in a way that doesn't make my work translate to the real world very well (which is also probably true)... they're really fun to listen to stuff through though... Incredible definition and clarity... i heard stuff on OK Computer that I never knew was there... but in my opinion, I trust my (admittedly hyped in the high mids) Sony 7506's more just because I've used them for almost a decade and know what they're doing...

Also, the 7506 is a bit of a "standard", kind of like NS10's... you'll find them in most studios and therefore you'll be able to have a "when all else fails, I know this much is true" reference with them sorta kinda... but all things are relative too...

headphone amps, the state of your sinuses.. all these things make a difference...
Go with what makes you feel good and not question your judgements...

also another question to ask is "what are you using them for?"... if it's just to be inspired while tracking things, then as long as it does the job, keeps the singer in tune... makes the musician rock out and not feel artificial, then it's good...

Arturo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Arturo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:08 am

Thanks Michael. I currently use the 7506's for all of my work which is usually mixing monitors or tracking for live recordings and in the former regard I think the Ultrasones would suit me better by giving me a clearer idea of what's going on in the low end. That's always my biggest isssue. I don't always have a cue wedge or some reference monitors and it can get tricky making EQ decisions. If anyone has advice in this regard I'm all ears. Thanks again.