Mackie Onyx 400F, anyone Got one? Used one? Whatcha think?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Mackie Onyx 400F, anyone Got one? Used one? Whatcha think?

Post by tablebeast » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:30 pm

I am looking into a new firewire based interface and this Mackie Onyx 400F looks pretty promising. Anyone on here used one? I heard it had great AD but not as great DA. It looks like a bargain with the converters, DSP mixer, pres, and software bundle. How is that software by the way? Any Traktion users? Finalmix? I like the idea of the 64-bit mix engine and the routability. I am wondering about those pres as well, are they better than Mackies older stuff? I'm the last person in the world that would go for Mackie stuff because I am so used to it sounding pretty generic in the past, so I need some backup that its a good device before I dive in. Let me know what's up with this 400F if you can.

Jesse
I want to be different, just like everybody else.

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Mackie Onyx 400F, anyone Got one? Used one? Whatcha thin

Post by Barry Jive » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:48 pm

tablebeast wrote:I am looking into a new firewire based interface and this Mackie Onyx 400F looks pretty promising. Anyone on here used one? I heard it had great AD but not as great DA. It looks like a bargain with the converters, DSP mixer, pres, and software bundle. How is that software by the way? Any Traktion users? Finalmix? I like the idea of the 64-bit mix engine and the routability. I am wondering about those pres as well, are they better than Mackies older stuff? I'm the last person in the world that would go for Mackie stuff because I am so used to it sounding pretty generic in the past, so I need some backup that its a good device before I dive in. Let me know what's up with this 400F if you can.

Jesse

I have the exact same question. Seems like everything I want, for not too much scratch. The bad DA thing really worries me though (what's the use of good AD conversion if you can't accurately hear what you're committing to disk?). Does anyone know of a good way of hearing what you're committing (or what you have committed) to tape short of buying a different interface for playback? How good are those pres? Anyone willing to do a comparison to the Digi 002r in pres and conversion?

-Eric

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:23 am

Its not that I heard it has bad DA, I just heard it was not up to the level as the AD. I don't know why that would be and it could just be misinformation. Doing some research online it says that the Onyx 400F uses AKM converters on both the AD and DA so there probably is little difference in their quality. Aren't these AKM's the ones used in Pro Tools HD? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is there really no one out there that has one of these? It featurees seem to destroy the 002R, I had one of those and was unimpressed. Thanks in advance.

Jesse

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:46 pm

tablebeast wrote:Its not that I heard it has bad DA, I just heard it was not up to the level as the AD. I don't know why that would be and it could just be misinformation. Doing some research online it says that the Onyx 400F uses AKM converters on both the AD and DA so there probably is little difference in their quality. Aren't these AKM's the ones used in Pro Tools HD? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is there really no one out there that has one of these? It featurees seem to destroy the 002R, I had one of those and was unimpressed. Thanks in advance.

Jesse
I'm definitely curious to see a review. If you buy the info on Mackie's site the latency is low and the conversion is great, but manufacturers have been saying that since the beginning of time (or digital).

The one feature I really don't like is the universal phantom power switch. Also I wish it had phase inversion on the pres, but that's wishful thinking.

What I REALLY want is for you to buy it and then tell me how you like it:D.

-Eric

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:53 pm

What I REALLY want is for you to buy it and then tell me how you like it:D.
Hehe, that was my idea for the original post, to find out what someone else that has bought it thought. Appearantly no one on this board has used one. I may buy it anyway. Has anyone seen the NEW mackie firewire device, the 1200F? It doesn't come out until next year and will cost at least twice what the 400F costs, but it has so many cool features I may just wait. It has integrated talkback, 4 headphones, more analog and digital I/O, 12 pres, etc.
If no one has used this 400F thing, than maybe you've at least used the onyx pres? Anyone?

Jesse

belltunes
audio school

Onyx 400F

Post by belltunes » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:03 am

For those of you still looking for info on the 400F check here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... id=1097071

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see anything within that review talking about how good or bad the Onyx sounded (ie: preamps!). All he ranted on about was latency this, WDM that, converters this, blah blah blah. I've always hated harmony central.....

belltunes
audio school

Post by belltunes » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:14 pm

ctmsound wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see anything within that review talking about how good or bad the Onyx sounded (ie: preamps!). All he ranted on about was latency this, WDM that, converters this, blah blah blah. I've always hated harmony central.....
Ya gotta read these things to make a statement like the one above. This is a 16 page 'live' review by one of the best electronic/music gurus out there (Craig Anderton). Yes, Harmony central sucks.....Craig Anderton doesn't!
It's actually a very novel idea for doing a review and it's very well done.

I purchase the unit and love it. Some folks have complained of a faint whining sound, but I haven't experienced that with my setup. Great Quality Sound! at a great price! YMMV depending on setup and/or abilities or lack of...

G.-Man

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:41 pm

I've been researching the converters, and Mackie uses the next to top of the line AKM as opposed to the top of the line AKM converters that are used in, e.g., the Pro Tools H.D. and, the lower-priced Emu 1820m or 1620m. I don't know how much difference it will make in the long run. But I might be inclined to get an 1820m, and maybe get an external preamp.