Looking to buy a compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Looking to buy a compressor

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Hey guys... gonna be looking to spend some $$$$ on a compressor in the next couple of weeks. The TFPRO P38 looks pretty interesting to me. First heard about it in the gear review of tapeop. Does anyone have any experience with this thing? Do you recommend it? Anything else in that price range I should check out instead? Around $1700 street.

Thanks
Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:49 pm

What will you be using it for? Do you have other compressors? Do you need mono or stereo?
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:18 pm

John Noll wrote:What will you be using it for? Do you have other compressors? Do you need mono or stereo?
Right now my list of compressors are as follows:

FATSO which I use for tracking and and on my 2 buss at mixdown.
A pair of Aphex 661's
A DBX 160VU
And older DBX166
Alesis 3630 with the black lion mod
and 4 RNC's

Here's what I'm looking for. I need a good stereo compressor or limiter. If the TFPRO is as good as I hear on a mix then I will use the FATSO for vocals at mixdown. Otherwise I will keep using the FATSO as I do now and maybe look into the Langevin stereo limiter for vocals at mix. I really haven't seen anything else in that price range that piques my interest. You know, in that $1500 to $1800 range. I was also thinking about maybe saving a bit more and looking into the Avalon 747 for vocals at mix, but I don't know. I kind of wish that Hamptone compressor kit was for sale already...LOL

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:31 am

As I have not heard the TFTpro comp I can't comment on it. The review was good and it peaked my interest in it as well.

As for the price range you can get pretty close to a drawmer 1969. Great as a bus comp. Also good for Vox plus it gets you two mic pres as well. Or another option would be to find a used Manley ELOP. When I go into my friends studio I enjoy using that comp on Vox and Bass. I have owned the Avalon 747 and the best part of the unit is the extra graphic eq. The Comp is not bad but not the first thing I would reach for either.

Just my opinion take it at that.

Mike

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:02 pm

audiogeek1 wrote:As I have not heard the TFTpro comp I can't comment on it. The review was good and it peaked my interest in it as well.

As for the price range you can get pretty close to a drawmer 1969. Great as a bus comp. Also good for Vox plus it gets you two mic pres as well. Or another option would be to find a used Manley ELOP. When I go into my friends studio I enjoy using that comp on Vox and Bass. I have owned the Avalon 747 and the best part of the unit is the extra graphic eq. The Comp is not bad but not the first thing I would reach for either.

Just my opinion take it at that.

Mike
Well as far as the Drawmer goes, I don't really need the mic pre's but looking into it I was wondering about the Mercenary 1968. Seems pretty cool. The Manley ELOP is def. nice but a little out of my price range. That's why I was asking about the Langevin ELOP instead. Nobody else wants to chime in on this one????

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:27 am

electro harmonix ny2a?

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:39 am

nick_a wrote:electro harmonix ny2a?
That's funny. I didn't know anything about this box until about an hour ago. Just finished reading about 5 different reviews and it def. has my interest up. Sounds like something that might be worth looking into... Thanks

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:14 pm

I got my Manley ELOP used for $1500 and you should be able to find one used for $1700 or less. I think it's a great compressor for vocals and find it works well on lots of other sources as well.

Is there a stereo ADL compressor in this price range? Maybe used? Similar family of compressors to the ELOP I believe.