Beyer M380

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

doc
pushin' record

Beyer M380

Post by doc » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:42 pm

I scored an M380 for $100.00 today! I'm really excited to mess around with it. It's figure eight pattern, but pretty different on each side. I know Steve Albini's talked about using these before. I have sessions already slated where I'm giong to try it on kick, bass, and acoustic guitar. Anybody here have one? Specific likes or dislikes?

-doc

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:00 pm

Its great on bass, and guitar. I've got a TGX50 the hyper/later version. I had the 380 at my old joint. Beyer makes great mics!

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:13 am

Those things are really great. Almost couldn't run a session at our place without one. Generally it goes on a bass cab. Our bass rig sits in a small iso booth and the bi-directional nature of that mic gets the amp and some reflection off the back wall of the booth, which can fill out the sound if the placement is right. They take a boatload of SPL, which is handy. Ours also gets used on kick drum, praticularly for minimal micing on jazz type sessions. You get a real nice "ambient" open sounding kick which seems to work very well for combo jazz drums. Nice score for very little dough, Doc!
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:57 pm

absolutely rules on bass cabs. what type of setups are you guys using this mic for on kick drums? that's one of the reasons i bought mine, haven't had the luck on kick i've had on bass.

$100 is a smokin' deal for that mic...