Studio Hours

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Studio Hours

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:57 pm

I work monday - friday here at ucla, and then head home to work in the studio from 6pm-11pm every night. I can tell some of my clients are frustrated about my reluctance to work on weekends, but that's really the only time I get's to spend with my lady and my band.
Anyone else out there have the same thing going on?
I'm thinking of renting the studio out on sundays if I can find a capable engineer that I trust not to burn the shack down.

weallfailed
audio school graduate

Post by weallfailed » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:27 pm

5 hour studio blocks during the week and no week-ends. Ouch. Making a record 5 hours at a time sounds like a total drag.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:15 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but I get a lot of work from clients who get fed up with working with people on these kinds of schedules. If you can make it work for you, awesome. Good luck!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:21 pm

Limitation is your friend.

You only have 25 hours available per week? As we would say in my day job, stack rank your clients on fun and profit, draw the line, cut the rest.

Life is too short to work on projects you don't like. :D

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:42 am

Find a person or two that you trust to operate your equipment and use them for help. This takes trust, good communication, and will take some of your time and effort to make sure the person(s) selected are the right fit for your business and know how to work effectively in your space.

It's a pretty classic "freelancer" type setup, but you're working with the same person or two, not every Tom, Dick, and Harry that says "lemme record in your cool space...". There are 3 "outside" guys who regularly book time in my space, all qualified and experienced even at bigger real studios like Albini's, McEntire's, and Bill Skibbe's. I have no qualms throwing any of them the keys, and making sure that they have all the support I can give them to keep their sessions moving. Their clients get a preferred sudio rate, which hopefully leaves a little extra in a client's pocket so the engineers get paid what they want. They also make themselves available to take on business that me or my first call guy can't do. I work a demanding day job that sometimes requires weekend and/or off shift work. I'd have had to shut the doors long ago if not for these gentlemen. Because they help keep money coming in, I have time to do my stuff when I want or am able. It a system that works great for me...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:34 am

yeah working on a record 5 hours at a time would not be something i as a musician would be into. it's not like i know your situation, but wouldn't it make more sense to take the week-time off and record all weekend? or like take one weekend day and two or three week days? i don't know. i've never done a project that was evenings-only, and for the way i work i don't think it'd work out too great. plus your space is really awesome, why wouldn't you want to spend more time in there?

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:31 am

Ever considered flipping your studio/personal time? Five hours at home or with your band for 5 days in the week, then just 2 days away in the studio, but allowing those clients to have long, full days would seem to work better to me. Would also allow any "help" you find to work long days during the week. Just a thought.

Seventh Wave Studio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Seventh Wave Studio » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:19 am

Sometimes (NOT ALWAYS) it keeps things fresh and alive to work in 5 hour blocks.

Charge more for weekends. No a bunch, maybe a few bucks. Bands want weekends for convenience Convience costs money. Pepsi costs more at the 7-11 than the grocery store. A plumber costs more to fix a leak Sunday afternoon than Monday morning.

It is not that you charge more on the weekends, but you charge less during the week. That way, if it is a money thing, they know how to book you, if it is a schedule thing, they also know how to book you. The bands can choose what is important to them.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that you should let bands know this. In a few years the band will not remember you working all weekend for a weekly rate, but your family will.

It depends on what you do. If you are an established private place, you can do this. If you are building a name, you cannot. I myself cannot always. I try to only book one or two weekends a month.

If you are a comercial studio, just trying to make money and fill the books, forget all of this. Weekends are the way to pay your bills and if you do not book every weekend, your business will close.
www.seventhwavestudio.com <----looky

"All we know is all we are"
(misheard lyric) Kurt Cobain

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Seventh Wave Studio wrote:Sometimes (NOT ALWAYS) it keeps things fresh and alive to work in 5 hour blocks.
I totally agree. _I_ would prefer to work on music that way, but my family would also rather have me 5 days a week than 2. And...
Seventh Wave Studio wrote:Bands want weekends for convenience.
That's the reason I would consider working the weekends. Totally up to the individual. Making both available can be a problem, though. Consistancy is important, for planning family events, band practice - whatever. It's hard to change from one week to the next, but if it becomes a matter of the studio making it or not...

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:21 pm

I'm not making too much of a business out of my littler area but when I am working with someone I level with them on availability. If there is a weekend I don't want I'm "booked." My family is pretty forgiving so that's helpful. I'm personally way more productive to settle in for a 10 - 12 hour session with a band than the few hours here and there approach.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:35 am

Sounds pretty good to me! I'm working 15 hour days EVERY day right now. Been at it 3 weeks straight... :shock:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:02 am

i no longer have a social life or weekends. I'm lucky that I have a girlfriend who is understanding.

My studio is in a house which i share with 4 other people. I can't make a lot of noise after 10 p.m. since people start going to bed at that time... I do most of my studio work on the weekends and i get every other friday off from my day job which helps as well. Someday, i'd like to have a part-time day job (guaranteed paycheck and health benefits) in order to spend more time studio wise or have a social life again. I do the studio thing on more of a love than a paycheck thing.. so this works out.. I just have to let customers know that it may take a bit longer if they decide to do a record with me due to my time constraints as well as my perfectionism.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:26 pm

kayagum wrote:Limitation is your friend.

You only have 25 hours available per week? As we would say in my day job, stack rank your clients on fun and profit, draw the line, cut the rest.

Life is too short to work on projects you don't like. :D
My new mantra.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:47 pm

when I was starting out I gave up basically everything in my life to be slave to someone else's schedule. I dont necessarily regret having done that, but in my old age I have gained some wisdom, namely hanging out with my girl and playing in my band is way more important in the long run than recording someone else's crap, be it the best crap in the world or just crap. The name of the game should be just being happy and having a good time and if you miss out on a cool record because you wanted saturday off, so be it. If the name of the game is about getting established then sacrifice some stuff, just ask yourself while some bullshit project is eating your weekend wether or not you'll enjoy listening to your work after your girlfriend leaves you. I wont watch a single movie or TV show that I worked on from the first four or five years I was working. I know one year I had a grand total of 13 (yes, 13 out of 365) days off, I'll never do that again for anybody. Its ok to turn down work if it means being able to have a "normal" life if in fact a "normal" life is important to you. Figure that out first, then figure out what to do with your schedule. Your availability will definitely determine the type of work you take.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

RockyTCR
gettin' sounds

Post by RockyTCR » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:51 pm

im a house engineer for a commercial studio in nyc...feels like being a doctor sometimes, getting calls and having to run to work. Lost long term relationship, social life, and sanity. I'd love to have weekends off, instead I show up fri and get to go home at Sunday night just to have to get up for work the next day. Its getting old to say the least. I think you've got it made and if you like what you do it doesn't matter. If you want to do more do more...It isnt your main gig so no worries. Make sure your having a good time while your doing it and you'll be good.

peace