i need a good stage organ and piano

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kikocoolray
gettin' sounds

Post by kikocoolray » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:36 pm

The Nord looks great, but i'm not a huge fan of the user interface (i gig with one a bunch).

And yes, the sounds are spot on-- but so are the sounds on a Kurzweil KME-61, and it's about a third of the price, last time I checked.

The Kurzweil has a bunch of sounds you'll most likely never use, but I've had great luck with piano, wurly, and B3 sounds on one.

MattPeterson
audio school

Post by MattPeterson » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:20 pm

Hey Geoff, any luck? Should we just get another cheapo Casio?

Rivers
gettin' sounds

Post by Rivers » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Yamaha s80.
It's discontinued but you can find a used around $700-800.Great Rhodes,Wurli's,good Organs,Strings,etc.

Much better Piano than the Nord.

Weighted keys if that matters to you.

The S90 has better Piano sounds but twice the price.
Smell the Magic.
www.katp.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:55 pm

MattPeterson wrote:Hey Geoff, any luck? Should we just get another cheapo Casio?
I dunno..I'm going to be checking some stuff out..

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:10 pm

Here's another weird one: Emu/Ensoniq Halo. Out of production but there's usually one on ebay for $500. Great piano. Cope-able organs.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:00 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Here's another weird one: Emu/Ensoniq Halo. Out of production but there's usually one on ebay for $500. Great piano. Cope-able organs.
You know, I wanted one of those for a while, but I found an ESQ-1 (and then an SQ-80) instead.

Is it just a ROMpler or can you do synthesis on it?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:49 pm

inverseroom wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:Here's another weird one: Emu/Ensoniq Halo. Out of production but there's usually one on ebay for $500. Great piano. Cope-able organs.
You know, I wanted one of those for a while, but I found an ESQ-1 (and then an SQ-80) instead.

Is it just a ROMpler or can you do synthesis on it?
Its a ROMpler, but with (a very good set of) subtractive stuff built in. A bevy of LFO-types, a slew of destinations, a passel of (digital subtractive) filters, arpeggiation, assignable (per program) knobs. Yeah, its a pretty cool machine. Interface sucks, but the presets are quite nice. ...And its got a patch randomize function, which kinda rules.

I wouldn't describe the subtractive section of it as "warm", but its not terrible, and the samples (and especially the piano on it) are very crisp and use-able.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:31 am

Anyone have any experience with the Kurzweil PC2R? It's the rack version of the PC2... the sound samples on the Kurzweil page sound pretty damn good and if you already have a controller, $950 for a rack module with all those sounds in it doesn't seem bad.

I'm keeping an eye out for a good module to MIDI to my rig for live purposes that has a good piano, electric piano (Rhodes & Wurli) and horns, clav, etc. I already got the organ base covered. ;)

Oh, another suggestion: I currently use a Yamaha EX7 and the electric piano sounds (and analog synth sounds) are really fantastic on that box. I've been thinking about the rack version (the EX5r). The organs kind of bite, but with a little programming I bet you could make them better. I use a Roland Vk-7 thru a Leslie 122 or a real B3 (depending on the venue) so, like I said, I have the organ sounds covered.

kikocoolray
gettin' sounds

Post by kikocoolray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:52 am

I had the PC2, and I loved the pianos, wurlies, and organs. Every bit as good as the Nord, in my experience.

I found myself using it instead of my real wurlitzer many times. But that might have been b/c of the transpose function!

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:36 pm

The thing that turns me off in a pretty big way from alot of these keyboards is they have no drawbars or means of having a drawbar controller added on via midi.