A Beyer Ribbon and a Pre to love it

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 am

PR autopista scene:

man sets up giant bbq about 5 feet from interstate, roasts 350 chickens. causes billowing chicken fat smoke screen across interstate. then smelling the chicken, everyone is compelled to stop. stop dead. on interstate.

sure, they are stopping in the "shoulder", but in PR the shoulder is actually just a passing lane. so you have a lane of traffic that is used both for passing people at 75 mph AND for stopping your car to eat chicken. SWEET!

man, that chicken is good though.

lofilothario
audio school graduate

Post by lofilothario » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:00 am

you say you only came to PR the one time?? haha Actually the shoulder is ONLY for passing, if your car breaks down you leave it in the middle of the road. The shoulder is also the only part of the road that has no pot holes.

Also, the cops will stop to eat tasty chicken or other roadside greasebombs but they will not stop to help if your car breaks down.

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:21 pm

It's possible it could vary...

Humidity could potentially be a factor (although unlikely) since a slack ribbon can rub against the magnet walls which could get worse in humid conditions (I still doubt it though).

Fragments of debris stuck in the assembly could cause problems which could be temporarily relieved when the mic is moved.

If it is not sounding good, then you could pop the top of the grill off and have a look to see if the ribbon looks noticeably slack or is rubbing the sides. If you take a good, close photo then I could have a simple look to see for anything obvious. There is a grey plastic top on the magnet assembly which can be removed carefully with a knife to have a better look - this can be glued back on later.

If you are not sure what you are doing, then send it to Beyer or Enak.

lofilothario wrote: Now an update on the mic...strange things are happening with it. Yesterday afternoon i went into the studio and lo and behold the M260 was useable...much better levels than before....then a few hours later it was back down to barely picking up anything. could this be temperature/humidity related???

When the levels were good the mic sounded great, a very full smooth sound.

I don't know I'm confused. :?

lofilothario
audio school graduate

Post by lofilothario » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:48 pm

hey rodabod, PM sent