Bob Clearmountain's gear list with quotes

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:23 pm

That gear doesn't put a sparkle in my eyes, nor does the fact that he engineered a bunch of jive-ass records.
Jeff Robinson wrote:
hammertime wrote:Okay, so I looked at this Bob Clearfountain's website -- who cares? He's got a bunch of little gadgets, and he doesn't like George Bush, and he has a blonde wife and a couple of blonde kids, and a big mansion in the woods. Other than that, I couldn't care less about this asshole.
I love it when young newbies have an insanely naive view of things!

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:30 pm

This gadgetry worship, and this idolatry over these industry insiders who make these records that sound like shit is getting a bit old.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:37 pm

Yammertime: No, the problem is that you are having to work harder and harder to get a rise out of us!

Seifer
audio school graduate

Post by Seifer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:20 pm

Ben Logan wrote:I'm surprised by how "bro-bra" such an "industry leader" sounds on his website. This guy's like a top mastering engineer, isn't he? I was kinda charmed by gear reviews like: "kinda sucks," or "sounds shitty, but was really expensive," but his website doesn't exactly make me want to pony-up a fortune for his services. Pretty fun reading.
Who cares? His attitude is a welcome change from all the pompous assholes that plague every other aspect of "pro" recording.
what if

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:56 am

Man i allways wondered how to avoid bodily harm from cd distruction! I need a cd shredder!!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:33 am

hammertime wrote:This gadgetry worship, and this idolatry over these industry insiders who make these records that sound like shit is getting a bit old.
The gadgetry worship I understand not liking but to tell me Bob has not done some amazing sounding records is just crazy. But I guess since you can hear everything on his records and it is not distorted then we should ban everyone on this site from listening to the records he has done.

What parts do you think sound bad? Have you even heard any of them or are you making a blanket statement about his work. I have not heard everything he has done either but I really enjoy the work I have heard and understand that some of this stuff was done in a time that record making was not fun. It also sounded fake with gated verb, synth everywhere, etc...

I usually do not post when someone makes an idiot statement like this but I get disturbed when someone posts something that is an attempt to make people like me post things. So you got me Hammer. And I am glad you know everything you know. So enlighten us with some real knowledge and talk to us about how The Strokes and the White Stripes records sound so much better than anything Bob Clearmountain has done.

Thanks
Mike

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:04 am

This website's getting old. All you guys talk about is getting more gear, and how much you like some washed up has-beens who made some corny music decades ago. To be honest, I don't even really like this magazine that much anymore. I find about a page or two that appeals to the way I do music, and I can say sort of the same for this forum -- it's gotten kind of stale. I'm sure Bob Dearmountain's a real nice guy, but the way he does music just doesn't mean shit to me. I glanced through his discography and saw alot of shit that I wouldn't pay 25 cents for a thrift store (shit like Sheryl Crowe, and Huey Lewis). If you guys like this type of stuff, fine. Later.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 am

Tatertot wrote:Yammertime: No, the problem is that you are having to work harder and harder to get a rise out of us!
Wasn't Hammertime a dick for a while then dissappeared claiming never to return. But then he did return, claiming he was nicer now that he quit drinking and did indeed seem to be nicer. Now we get these posts at 12:30 AM... Say it ain't so Hamma.
Last edited by Rufer on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 am

hammertime wrote:Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Later.
Ooh! Ooh! Do you mean it this time?

Doubt it. :roll:

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:34 am

please post your work hammer... i want to learn how to mix from you. you are an amazing engineer, i can feel it from your attitude. please enlighten us on what our mixes should sound like. please. i am serious. post something if you know so much and are so aesthetically brilliant.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 am

hammertime wrote:This website's getting old. All you guys talk about is getting more gear, and how much you like some washed up has-beens who made some corny music decades ago. To be honest, I don't even really like this magazine that much anymore. I find about a page or two that appeals to the way I do music, and I can say sort of the same for this forum -- it's gotten kind of stale. I'm sure Bob Dearmountain's a real nice guy, but the way he does music just doesn't mean shit to me. I glanced through his discography and saw alot of shit that I wouldn't pay 25 cents for a thrift store (shit like Sheryl Crowe, and Huey Lewis). If you guys like this type of stuff, fine. Later.
Wow, what a close minded view you have on things. I feel sorry for you. If you can't atleast find one good thing on every record you listen to, then you're really missing alot. There's a difference between taking an artistic/minimalistic/punk rock/whatever the fuck you wanna call it approach to making music and just being close minded to how others do things and never progressing in your art. :roll:

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:21 am

He periodically says "later" and claims to be leaving us for good this time - but we know he'll be back for more, sooner or later -

Someday there will be a myspace.com/hammertime and we'll finally get to decide for ourselves what we think of his work

If I were LC, I would give him a column in every mag sort of along the lines of the old "Ed Anger" columns in the Weekly World News; when he's gone I actually sort of miss him

Quite the dysfunctional relationship

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:34 am

I am locking this thread.