piece of equipment ruined

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billiamwalker
pushin' record

piece of equipment ruined

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:41 pm

i have 2 AT2020's that i'm trying to remove the little foam piece off of the element thing-a-ma-jig. it's glued right on top of it and i'm trying to take it off.

well my problem is is that i can't open the mic. and i've nearly stripped the little screws around the side (which i think is holding it together). any tips on how to open the darn thing and remove the foam piece?

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Most of these kind of mics have a large turn buckle nut on the botton. It may be around where the XLR plug goes in. You sould just be able to unscrew that large nut, and the two pieces come apart. The body, and the screen. (I am guessing that the 2020 is the same way, but I do not know.) Sometimes once inside there is a few internal srews to remove.

Joe

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:38 pm

I'd take the mic to a good hardware store and try to find a screwdriver that fits. If they're totally stripped, there are attachments that are made to remove them that dig into what's left of the screws; I don't know what they're called, but someone who works there probably will. Or you could go the dangerous route and drill them out with a bit about the size of the diameter of the shaft of the screw. But if you're just trying to "mod" the mic, keep in mind that an unmodded mic is a lot more useful than a broken one, then again you've come this far so you might as well complete the journey.
Good luck!
-me