Audio-Technica PRO 37 Small Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:12 am

eeldip wrote:"juiced" would be my term.
totes. good for punk OH.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

pro37

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:41 pm

used it as a room mic this weekend. kicked butt.

used it on acoustic as well. dug it.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:37 pm

As mentioned I love the Pro37R. I don't know that I've used anything else on acoustic guitar in a long while. I like them XY with my Great River MP2H. When I use them for OH I'm thinking more cymbals that whole drum-set. I think I'm gonna use one on snare this weekend.

I did a Mesa/PRS heavy rock thing a while back and I used the Pro37R on guitar cabinets a lot on that record. They can be great for backing vocals, strings and room too. I almost forgot Leslie top.

Regular Guy
gettin' sounds

Post by Regular Guy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:57 am

Do they sell these in matched pairs?

fromthecurve
ass engineer

Post by fromthecurve » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Do they sell these in matched pairs?
I don't think so. I think AT claims that they make 'em well enough that any two will match. At any rate, I have a pair, and they're pretty close ...

bobg (homestudioguy)
gettin' sounds

Re: Audio-Technica PRO 37 Small Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser

Post by bobg (homestudioguy) » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Shields wrote:I'm looking into buying an SDC, and $100 seems a reasonable price. Anyone know of any reason I should stray from this mic?
A lot of people use this (Audio-Technica PRO 37) as a go to for a small condensor. I mean a lot!
FYI, I just bought the sE Electronics SE3 small condensor but they are running about $299 street apiece. With the assistance of a Tape Op friend we A/B'd the AT and sE on acoustic guitar. The AT provided a much nicer high end but the SE3 covered the rest of the range much better IMO. When blended together they sounded incredible. We tried the SE3 as an overhead and it provided a very nice balanced spectrum of sound across the board. I have read where some folks dont like the AT37 as overheads as they can sound overly bright and even harsh (dependent on the cymbals) however, there are a ton of people who swear by them.
Bob G. (formerly Homestudioguy)
http://www.homestudioguy.com
bobgStudioWorks

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:11 am

i've had decent results on keyboard amps too
an old silvertone twin with a casio cz-1 blasting!

it was FUN!

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:05 pm

i just used this mic for the first time the other day. literally, this mic, the one the original poster bought. i loved it, i was really surprised. we put it on my snare, which usually gets an 81 or 57.

i need to get a pair myself now, i want a new snare mic!

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Audio-Technica PRO 37 Small Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:20 am

homestudioguy wrote:
Shields wrote:I'm looking into buying an SDC, and $100 seems a reasonable price. Anyone know of any reason I should stray from this mic?
A lot of people use this (Audio-Technica PRO 37) as a go to for a small condensor. I mean a lot!
FYI, I just bought the sE Electronics SE3 small condensor but they are running about $299 street apiece. With the assistance of a Tape Op friend we A/B'd the AT and sE on acoustic guitar. The AT provided a much nicer high end but the SE3 covered the rest of the range much better IMO. When blended together they sounded incredible. We tried the SE3 as an overhead and it provided a very nice balanced spectrum of sound across the board. I have read where some folks dont like the AT37 as overheads as they can sound overly bright and even harsh (dependent on the cymbals) however, there are a ton of people who swear by them.
That comparison was done at my joint. I still think the AT is going to be the better acoustic mic in a full band type track. The sE3 might be better for solo acoustic. I'm actually thinking of a pair of the sE3s (they sell matched pairs BTW) because I have a feeling they will be really great overheads in my room.