Travel charge???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Travel charge???

Post by agauchede » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:09 pm

I'm giving an estimate for a remote gig that will include a 150 mile trip each way - potentially 7 hours of driving. What do folks charge for this - is there an industry standard?

Thanks for any input,
Chris

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:42 am

The current IRS milage rate is 44.5 cents a mile.

If you have a pretty fuel efficient car, you can end up making some money, which is nice.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:57 am

It seems to me it would depend on the client's threshold of payment. Are they going to freak out and cancel the session outright if you charge 1/2 your standard recording rate? That's what we used to charge for travel time when I installed home theaters - $75/hr for install, $37.50/hr for travel time if I was driving more than maybe 30-60 minutes.
But then it is also important to judge the client both in value and willingness to pay. For example, if I were driving 2-hours to install a $50k system, we would probably not charge for travel, but if I were driving 1-hour to install $2k worth of gear, we would probably be charging for the travel time.
So, if you're charging them $200 for the recording, you would definitely want travel covered, but then you have to be careful not to blow the deal by charging $300 in travel expenses for a $200 gig. If they are a valuable client, and the time isn't a huge factor, maybe you would say, "well I normally charge $12.50 an hour for travel, but I like you guys and will do it for $40-50 to pay for a tank of gas." Something like that can really tighten up the relationship and make them feel even better about working with you. While pushing for too much could strain the relations before you even arrive.

-Jeremy

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:42 pm

If you spend a day traveling to a job, thats potentially a day you cant be working so dont feel bad about charging them your day rate. There is no "industry standard" especially not so in the music industry. I am in a union which has all sorts of rules about how to charge for travel, its not a cut and dry thing. Tell your client you have to charge them for a travel day and work it out. If the job is several weeks you can use your discretion and give it to them for nothing, but if you are only getting paid for a few days, it doesnt make too much sense to subsidize thier budget with your expenses which is exactly what you are doing when you give away a day like that. In the end they might hire somone local if you push too hard, so be prepared for that.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.