Pre amp to 'warm' digital keys/drum machine, etc??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sapple
audio school

Pre amp to 'warm' digital keys/drum machine, etc??

Post by sapple » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:20 pm

With about 2k to spend for 2 channels, any opinions on a pre that will warm, even color, the sterility of digital synths? I don't mind dirtying things up a bit, so I'm leaning towards tube, but I'm open to anything. I have a simple set up... recording with MBox and/or Roland VS1680. In addition to the 2k for a pre, I'll probably also get 2 channels of Apogee (then I can bypass the Roland/MBox converters, right?).

Between the pre and A/D converter, I essentially want something that will help with the sterility of digital synths and provide better, more defined placement in the mix. Having said that, am I choosing 'the right path' by getting a decent pre amp, and Apogee? (Of course, not running keys direct and putting them through an amp w/mic would help too... but forgetting that option for the sake of this discussion). :wink:

I was sort of leaning towards a UA 2-610, but with so many opinions con, I'm almost afraid to touch that!???

Thanks for any opinions.
--Jeff

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:32 pm

You might want to think about the Hamptone tube or jfet.
I've found the jfet to be an excellent DI that can be clean or colored depending on whether or not you use the pad and/or how hard you drive it.

If you have enough cash leftover, also consider getting a distressor for more tonal and fattening options.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:41 am

Dirty them up with guitar effects: distortion boxes, overdrives, fuzzes, comps. Fancy, cheap- they all help.

Amp sim boxes are great (Sansamp, Vox, OK- maybe even Pods). My Sansamp Bassdriver actually works great for this application.

Seriously. Do it. You won't go back.
Last edited by kayagum on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 am

I would say a preamp would help ya a lot. I only have a Presonus TubePre at the moment, and you can afford something much nicer than that. I've used my TubePre on my Roland V-Club kit with decent results. Parallel compression can help thicken up the sound as well. I've been experimenting with that on my latest mix.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:53 am

When I say "dirty", set it for "stun", not "kill".

If something I'm working on sounds too precious, I would sometime run it through a Vintage Rat, but with the distortion setting way down, and lots of "makeup gain". Totally sweetens the track.

sapple
audio school

Post by sapple » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:13 am

kayagum wrote:Dirty them up with guitar effects: distortion boxes, overdrives, fuzzes, comps. Fancy, cheap- they all help. Amp sim boxes are great.
Yeah, I agree... I like to run stuff through some amp sims (forgot to mention that)... I may try some boxes too - thanks.

But as far as a nice pre for keys... if you're using some sims or boxes, and/or a fatso/distressor for color, etc., what's a decent choice for a pre to give it some nice placement in the mix - especially a dense mix? Is it still good to go tube (to 'soften' some of that digital crap in keys), or doesn't it matter much?

Thanks,
jeff

www.simonapple.com

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:44 am

you could look to the d.i. as well

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:57 am

About a year ago I was tinkering with the idea of building a stereo guitar amp sim pedal (like a stereo version the ones at runoffgroove.com) to warm up my access virus, or building a stereo overdriving lowpass filter with a LM13700 chip, but like most things, I never got around to it.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:33 am

a nice preamp will help a bit. but before you spend a buncha money, give colortone by tritone a shot.

its just a convolulution thingy that models preamps. its free. it sounds good.

http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/3730/

JB
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Pre amp to 'warm' digital keys/drum machine, etc??

Post by JB » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:30 pm

sapple wrote: I was sort of leaning towards a UA 2-610, but with so many opinions con, I'm almost afraid to touch that!???

Thanks for any opinions.
--Jeff
I think that would be a fine way to go. I often run splits out of my MPC400 thru 2 x Avalon 737VT sp to use the tube EQ (and some of the crappy compressor). I usually us more drastic things like the Distressor as an Insert after the splits have been ran in the box.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:13 pm

I try to only use keyboard and synth voices that need no fattening. If they need fattening, I run'em through DSI Evolver's filter, or Moogerfooger MF-101 Lowpass (and in either case, hit it hard -- like a preamp). Then they need no further fattening.