Soundtracs Topaz/Project 8

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

getreel
carpal tunnel

Soundtracs Topaz/Project 8

Post by getreel » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:58 am

I recently purchased and installed a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 24 channel console. So far, I really like the features and functionality. Mine had one of it's side rails damaged in shipping(I had heard UPS wasn't kind to the Topaz/Has anyone replaced those with wood or something). My meterbridge came disconnected and I installed it myself. The first 8 channels on the meterbridge don't work now. The ribbon cables were alerady attached to console from the brdge being installed previously. Do you think one is just loose inside or is the MB itself damaged? I also would like some pointers on how to get this console to sound it's best. It will be used with a 2" 24 track so I also need to mod to +4. That doesn't look hard to do and I can check the MB connections while I'm in there. So far, I've used it with -10 Fostex E16 tape machine and it sounds pretty good. I like that I can get the channels to drive a little bit when I push hard or EQ drastically. What else can you wonderful Tape-oppers tell me about my new console? I had an Tascam M3500 before this and this sounds a little samller to my ears for some reason. Will the +4 mod help the sound or is it just how I'm using it? Any tips or pointers abut this console would be helpful. I'd also like to hear anyone's projects they have recorded or mixed on a Topaz to compare to the sounds I'm getting. It does seem warmer or fatter(hate to use those terms but oh well). I think I like it's general sound but I'm going for the best sound I can get. So far, I only mixed or played back tracks that were recorded on the M3500. I suppose actually tracking through the Topaz would sound better? Any help or comments are appreciated!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:17 am

I've had a Topaz project 8 for about a year now. The tape outs and line ins have been modded, i'm not sure about the other points on the board, i should open it up someday and take a look. Previously i was using a mackie 24*8. I think it sounds pretty good. I track to a digi 001/alesis AI-3 using some outboard pre's and then using the board's for what is left over. I really need to study some of the routing a bit more since i seem to have some problems with using all the routing options. Even though its an inline board i still split it, one side for the pre and the other side as returns coming back from the digi 001. Just the way i'm used to working and the way i taught myself. People seem to like the eq's... i can say they're a step up from the mackie but still if pushed they get a little "funny" sounding. I wish there was more information marker-wise on the eq bands rather than 50-1000 and 350-8000 since i'd like to know what i'm ducking/boosting just for my own pleasure and it doesn't sound like halfway on the pot between 50 and 1000 is the 500 hrz range.
I mix out of the digi 001/alesis AI-3 in stereo stems. I didn't start doing this until i got the Topaz. all previous recordings were done either on 1" tape to the mackie 24*8 or in the digi 001 and mixed in the box. I'm having much better results bringing stems out to the topaz. I still wish i had a tape machine though...[/list][/code]

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:49 am

Hey getreel...

I replied to your post to the Yahoo Topaz group as well...

I have the Project 8 32:8 w/ meter bridge, and I love it! I have had it for about 18 months now, and it has performed admirably during that time. I did have some PSU issues when I first got it, but after rebuilding both power supplies, it has been a real workhorse.

I use mostly outboard mic pres, but when needed, I have employed the Topaz pres without hesitation, and to be honest, the results were really surprising... they were so much better than I expected.

I have done some stem mixes through the unit as well (8 stereo stems - 16 channels), and they sounded really, really good, although I find that the EQ is really easy to overdue. In most cases, it is so much easier to just mix ITB, so I don't normally use the Topaz as an analog summing machine...it is better than digital summing, but just barely. To me, the effort is not worth it unless I am working on a really important project beyond just a demo recording.

My system was modded to +4 before I got it, and it seems to work great at that level.

Good luck, and welcome to the Topaz Club!!!
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:26 am

I'll probably replace those plastic/fiber side things. I'm also having a custom console built to house the Topaz and maybe my patchbay. I have liked the EQ particularly well so far. I think it is way better than my old M3500. The Tascam is a great console though. I think I'm going to like the Topaz better overall. Good to know the pres are decent. I tracked some vocals through mine and it sounded really darn good to me. I used my RNC on the insert and printed to analog 1/2" 16 track tape with really good results. I wonder how they'll sound with drums?! Thanks for the comments and info so far. I bought this console because of a brochure I saw when I worked for Studio Tech Supply back in 1997. I saved that old Topaz brochure from 1997 until I found my Topaz and now I can't find it! Otherwise I'd have some original promo lit for these consoles. It has some awesome features for the money and size. I like the fact it's smaller than the M3500. Maybe less impressive to clients but I like having more space since I bought a huge 2" 24 track that I'm sure is going to take up half my control room(which is raher small).

restless-young-romantic
gettin' sounds

Post by restless-young-romantic » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:21 pm

I have the PDF brochure of the Project 8, if you want PM me.
-Van Gelder Appreciation Society