414 polar patterns

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pretzels
studio intern

414 polar patterns

Post by pretzels » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:06 pm

I recently acquired an AKG 414 XLII and have a couple questions about the adjustable polar patterns. When testing with vocals in either omni or fig 8, the front side of the mic seems noticably more sensitive than the back. Is this normal? Also, when switching the polar patterns from omni on the far left towards fig 8 there is a noticable pop sound when landing on the hypercardioid setting. The pop sound is also heard when switching vice versa from fig 8 towards omni upon landing on wide cardioid. Again, is this normal or does the mic need to be repaired? Thanks for your patience.

P
ball means, dude.

www.glennlabs.net

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:18 am

I'm not sure what would be going on with the front-to-back difference on the omni & fig-8 patterns. I'd suggest checking the polar response charts to see if they show something unusual there, like a reduction in HF on the rear of the mic. If there acoustic protection such as a foam screen on one side of the mic that isn't in the other?
As for popping between patterns, that doesn't sound too surprising. I've not used the new versions of the mics, but most mics do pop a bit when switching patterns. Remember that in a dual diaphragm mic with two cardioid capsules back-to-back, omni is made from 50%Front + 50%Back, wide cardioid is something like 70%F + 30%B, cardioid is 100%F, hypercardioid is 70%F - 30%B and fig-8 is 50%F - 50%B. So when switching across the patterns there are a few stops where the rear diaphragm is being switched off, switched on, or inverted. I'd expect a pop.

-Jeremy

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:01 am

i know figure 8's and omnis usually give different responses from the front or back....with a ribbon, you can make the decision which lobe faces the instrument... but i always thought that was more an issue with "true" omnis and figure 8's, not as much the adjustable, two-diaphragm type. eh?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:07 pm

The pop is normal. Mine pops too, as do the other selectable-pattern mics I have.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/